Can't find local midwife! Help!

MeanKitty23

Reaction score
I'm late in looking for this. It's my first pregnancy, I'm about 33 weeks now and my doctors aren't helpful at all with this idea of "natural" birthing options. Like I'm crazy for wanting to do things nature's way as opposed to the "comforting hospital setting with all the medical assistance I could ever need". I'm disgusted with them and realize I should've looked for a midwife instead at the beginning of the pregnancy. But I just didn't know.

Now I'm scrambling around trying to research home birthing, laboring at home, etc. I'm weighing the pros and cons of everything. NO ONE is supportive of me potentially just wanting to stay at home to deliver except my DH. He's the only one that's said "I'll catch the baby, I don't have a problem with that. You're the one giving birth, so you can do whatever you want and I'll support that." :happydance:

Yesterday, I just started searching for a midwife and honestly, I can't find one. What's worse is I don't think my insurance company is gonna cover a midwife anyway - I checked through their website for a listing of "medical professionals". I tried looking specifically for the one single midwife in the city that I found online. She's not in their system - Yikes!

I would like a water birth and the local hospitals apparently don't entertain that idea so.... I'm just upset! I can't enjoy my pregnancy at all at this point because I feel like I'm just in the wrong. I'm accused of not keeping my baby's needs in mind and just... how DARE someone think such a thing?!:growlmad:

I just wanted to say that you absolutely can have the birth you want at this stage. My best friend only decided at about 37 weeks that she was leaving her doctor and planning a home birth. She found a midwife and a doula in a few days time and had the most amazing, empowering birth experience. She said she's so glad she followed her instincts. It looks like you live in Alabama, if I'm correct, midwives aren't technically allowed to practice there, but you can find some who do. Have you searched at all for doulas in your area? Or midwives that may be based in other nearby states? Unfortunately, you would probably find it quite difficult to find a home birth midwife who is covered by your insurance there. However, I think you could find someone if you are willing to pay privately and be a little flexible. Check out these websites:

https://www.alabamamidwivesalliance.org/home.html

https://www.alabamabirthcoalition.org/

https://alabamamidwives.net/

Would you be willing to travel to a nearby state to birth in a private birth center? That might be an option if you can't find one. But if you can, many are willing to work with you on payment plans and can be flexible if it's what you really want. You may have to pay extra to have someone travel to you if you are quite remote, but if it's the right thing for you, it will be worth it. Good luck! Hope you find someone!

P.S. I've just noticed you live right on the FL border. Definitely check out that last website above, it has a map of nearby midwives and there are some near you as well as across the border into FL.

In some locations, midwives that practice home births aren't available. Have you considered a birthing center? The thing about those, though is that it has to be a free-standing center if you are to escape the hospital procedures and protocols. I am lucky enough to live in an area where there are many options. I won't likely be as lucky the second time around as I've already looked into the area I plan to move to... Good luck figuring things out.

I can't find a birthing center nearby unfortunately. I'd rather not have to drive a long distance to have a baby. Sure, getting there wouldn't be bad but driving back with the newborn is what I'd rather not do right after having her, ya know?

My hubby is goin to my next appointment with the doctor to make sure we're taken care of properly. I'm probably going to end up making a last minute decision when the time comes unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->