Can't have homebirth..

dreams

My beautiful baby Ffion
Reaction score
MW called me earlier and told me that i can't have a homebirth due to my iron levels being too low.

How dangerous is this during labour? Obviously LO's safety is the most important thing but i can't help thinking that maybe because they're short staffed they want me to have her in hospital and using any reason to not have a homebirth.

Any advice or anybody experienced this?

thanks x

There's been some talk about iron levels in the homebirthers and hopefuls lately check it out.

Stick to your guns if you want your HB, tell them you will HB and you expect a MW to be present!

If you don't mind me asking what are you iron levels? As chuck said there's been some talk in reference to the levels and how some midwives seem more comfortable with lower numbers than others. If you can get ahold of your numbers then it might be easier for you to really understand if they're so low it is more beneficial to go in, or if she's being overly cautious in which doing some research about the effects would really help you have the confidence to say that you respect her oppinion but that you will still have a homebirth.

Here's a great reference site. https://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

Normal ranges for Hb (haemoglobin) levels in pregnancy are about 12.6g per 100ml on average. You will be considered anaemic if your levels are below 11g per 100ml.

There will be serious concern if your levels are below 9g per 100ml or lower.
If your anaemic at these levels the concern is that it may interfere with your bloods clotting ability. Plus you may not have enough energy for labour and birth - The iron in Hb os what bonds the Oxygen to the blood cell. (low iron, less oxygen). It can make you prone to infection, premature labour and an increase in the risk of increased blood loss afterbirth - compounded by the fact you will need a greater quantity of blood to carry the same about of oxygen of a women with normal levels - so you blood is more precious to you.
NICE recommends that a hospital delivery is indicated if levels are 8.5g per 100ml at the onset of labour.

Sorry that might sound all doom and gloom, it is the facts you need to know.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel! The key is to remember that the levels are important at the onset of labour. You have plenty of time to change this - it doesn't take very long to get your levels up either by diet and/or supplements. Iron is very easily absorbed (better from your diet along with Vit C, which helps absorbtion, and not the supplements - which can give you constipation and jet black stools as most of the iron is lost in your poo), you should start to feel better within yourself, with a far greater energy in no time. You can also ask for the possibility of IV infusion or IM injections.
XxX

She said 'around 9'.

I've had 210mg iron tablets, what are the chances this would increase my iron levels up enough as i'm 38 weeks now?

I've been anaemic all through this pregnancy so they knew this before we arranged the homebirth. She came for a home visit yesterday and did mention that 2 midwives are off sick so they are short staffed but will try their best to honour a homebirth.

I don't know much about iron levels, i've just finished reading the homebirth website on hb and 9 doesn't seem to suggest i have to go to hospital or have i read it completely wrong?

I have my heart set on having a homebirth, i'm more upset than anything that this close to the birth the obstacles arise.

That is a low iron level.. but you CAN change it within days - you don't have to wait to create new blood cells, your Hb will be crying out for it!

You have free choice - always remember this. So it is totally up to you where you give birth.

What is your diet like? Honestly the supplements can be rubbish at absorption if you don't have Vit C and they are making you feel sick or constipated so don't feel like eating. Naturally occuring iron, through diet is much better.

Natural iron is in lean red meat, kidneys, (here's where you tell me your veggi, but that's no problem. Hey you couldn't pay me enough money to eat kidneys!), it is also rich in watercress, dried fruit, green veg (Esp spinach and broccoli), cream, cheese, cocoa (so you can have lots of chocolate) butterbeans and kidney beans. There are loads, it's easy to look up on the net.
Iron absorption can be hindered by caffeine, so avoid the tea and coffee.

Calcium also interferes with iron absorbancy, especially the stuff from non meat sources. Just to keep in mind.

What's that stuff some of you girls were drinking? I think it was something you dissolve in orange juice?

The stuff that was mentioned on the other thread was Spatone - apparently this is great.

I have been having an issue with low iron and have been taking 3 x 7.5mls of Ferodan every day - this has increased my iron hugely in just two weeks! I highly advise it.

Good luck!

Thanks LuckyD, maybe you could try some of that Dreams? I've only ever heard great things about it.

Yes surprise surprise I was going to plug Spatone. Last pregnancy I went down to 8 or something. I had 4 weeks of stupid horrible iron tablets and it barely touched my iron level. I then had 2 weeks of spatone and this returned my levels to normal. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->