Car seat question!

Hippiemomlife

Reaction score
So I just bought a brand new Maxi Cosi Pebble car seat, which I had done some research on and I was happy with the quality, safety, etc. I don't exactly know how expensive car seats are in general but from what I've seen it is on the more expensive side (200 euros).

Anyway, I looked at it at home and it just seems to be not that good quality... The clips holding the baby in are plastic and there's no chest clip. I looked at pictures online and I only now noticed that it seems that there's no chest clips on any of the pictures of the Pebble... How is this considered safe? I was confident in my purchase at the time because I just thought that a chest clip and metal (instead of plastic clips) was standard... Is my car seat still safe?

Hi! I bought the maxi cosi mico car seat in black..I've yet to take it out if the box.. But I did notice while looking at the display that the quality DOES look slightly lower than some... With my last baby, I bought the peg perego car seat and it was beautiful... The chest clips are still plastic and metal, but not breakable. Really good quality. My maxi cosi has a chest clip similar to the peg car seat. Could it be the color of your seat that gives you that conclusion? Or it mainly the functionality of the seat?

So I just bought a brand new Maxi Cosi Pebble car seat, which I had done some research on and I was happy with the quality, safety, etc. I don't exactly know how expensive car seats are in general but from what I've seen it is on the more expensive side (200 euros).

Anyway, I looked at it at home and it just seems to be not that good quality... The clips holding the baby in are plastic and there's no chest clip. I looked at pictures online and I only now noticed that it seems that there's no chest clips on any of the pictures of the Pebble... How is this considered safe? I was confident in my purchase at the time because I just thought that a chest clip and metal (instead of plastic clips) was standard... Is my car seat still safe?

Where in the world are you? You said your pricing in euro.
Chest clips are not standard in Ireland where I am and all or most other eu countries.

Hi! I bought the maxi cosi mico car seat in black..I've yet to take it out if the box.. But I did notice while looking at the display that the quality DOES look slightly lower than some... With my last baby, I bought the peg perego car seat and it was beautiful... The chest clips are still plastic and metal, but not breakable. Really good quality. My maxi cosi has a chest clip similar to the peg car seat. Could it be the color of your seat that gives you that conclusion? Or it mainly the functionality of the seat?

The seat I have is black as well, but just looking at the plastic parts of the seat, it just has swirls and it's not smooth, like it just doesn't look like it's worth 200 euros. And there is only one clip, the front in between the babies legs there's a seat belt type clip where two plastic pieces come together and hold the straps closed... But there is definitely no chest clip and I find it somewhat strange that the actual mechanism to hold the baby in place is just 2 small plastic pieces and no metal at all.

Where in the world are you? You said your pricing in euro.
Chest clips are not standard in Ireland where I am and all or most other eu countries.

I live in Austria, but I'm originally from Canada so maybe that's why Im thinking of North American standards. I just didn't realise that car seat safety could be so different. It took me forever to find a seat that rear faces after 12 months as well. In Canada at least it's pretty normal to rear face for as long as possible (from what I've seen with friends and family anyway).

Yeah eu standard is no chest clip.
I have the britax first class plus which rear faces till 13kg roughly 28lb.

Yeah eu standard is no chest clip.
I have the britax first class plus which rear faces till 13kg roughly 28lb.

Oh ok I didn't realise the eu standards were different! I also asked around at hospitals and midwives and no one could give me a clear answer on rear facing after 12 months, so the only one I could find was the maxi Cosi 2 way fix which can rear face up to 4 years old (weight/height depending). Not my first choice but if it's safe and up to eu standards then it must be fine

I have also bought the pebble, had the Cabriofix for my other two, and it's safety rating is very high. I really wouldn't worry, it gets very good reviews and does very well in safety tests. Apart from the Cabriofix, which is the older version, I think it's the best selling group 0+ car seat in the UK. Are you planning on using it with a base?

I have also bought the pebble, had the Cabriofix for my other two, and it's safety rating is very high. I really wouldn't worry, it gets very good reviews and does very well in safety tests. Apart from the Cabriofix, which is the older version, I think it's the best selling group 0+ car seat in the UK. Are you planning on using it with a base?

Oh that's comforting to hear :) yes I bought the 2-way-fix base which works with the Pearl once the baby outgrows the Pebble. The base allows the Pearl car seat to rear face up to 4 years or forward face, depending on what works best for your child!

Chest clips are illegal in the UK- all car seats have to be able to be undone quickly with one hand for safety reasons. I wouldn't worry about the clips being plastic- the seats are very highly tested and the Pebble is extremely highly rated so I'm sure the clips are up to the job.

Most people who do ERF (Extended Rear Facing) buy a new car seat after 12 months ish when the infant seat is outgrown. We have the Britax 2 Way Elite which will rear face until 25Kg- approx 6 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->