Car seats!

PrincessPea

Mummy to Jessica
Reaction score
Hey ladies

Hope you are all well.

Looking for a wee bit help from those with older prems please.....

Jessica currently weighs just under 15lbs and is still in her rearward facing infant car seat but she is Bored to the point that journeys are starting to become a bit of a nightmare. I have a maxi cosi pebble and would move up to the front facing pearl. I know the min weight for them tho is 20lbs. I have tried Jessica in a pearl and the harness holds her in nice and tight etc however when I asked in a local shop the young girl just looked at me with absolute horror as if I had committed child cruelty right there just by asking!! Lol. She is 1 now and fully in control of her neck/back etc.

So my question is - did any of you move up car seats early and if so how early weight wise etc?

Thank u. Xx

P.s hubby is a traffic cop so I know the importance of having a suitable car seat etc I just wondered what others did. Xx

Leo has very recently gone into his FF seat, we got to the point where the straps weren't on his shoulders properly in his RF seat, and the harness wasn't close to his body due to him having to sit hunched (so the back support wasn't their either) - it become unsafe! So at 18lbs we turned him FF. I stand by my decision to do it xx

Holly is still in her rear facing seat because at her last weigh in she was only 17lb 9oz. Holly went through a phase of hating in the car seat but it passed. Now she happily plays with her toys. Unless she is tired then she is a grump.

Anya is 1yo in10 days, she's only 15lb 11oz (7.1kg) but really long, the maxi cosi cabriofix was no longer suitable, so she's in her big car seat but still rearward facing. I wont turn her round till 20lb. She has her 2 big brothers and big sister to keep her amused in the back anyway. 20lb seems ages away tho. She's quite slow at gaining weight. xx

We got a britax first class plus, it's a group 0-1+ seat, it goes from birth to 29lb rear facing and then forward facing from 20 to 40lb. It sits a lot higher up than an infant carrier so they can see out of the windows. Niamh won't be getting turned around untill she reaches 29lb.

I really wouldent put her forward facing untill she's 20lb, the car seats won't have been safety tested for a baby her weight so you don't know how well it would work in a crash.

We are still in this dilema. Erin is 22 months and weighs about 19 lb but we still have her in the rear facer. We're getting ready to move her into her big brothers seat and him into the next one but hubby is being a bit of a stickler for 20lbs - think i might get away with it before she turns 2 as all her winter clothes probably make her nearer 25lbs:haha: I know that Erin would prefer the front facer but i agree that she went through a faze of hating it and came through the other side, although we're not in the car that much so a longer journey would probably be a nightmare! I know lots of people who have moved before 20lbs so do what's right for you!

We moved when Alex grew too tall, her head was almost higher than the seat. I can't remember her weight though :/

I can't remember if we waited for the magical 20lb figure or not! But he was probably close to that - the new seat was a Christmas present from my parents, so that would be when he was 13m corrected. I seem to remember I had to wait a week or two after Christmas for the weather to warm up before I could bear to be outside long enough to fit it :D

Thanks Ladies, I appreciate all your replies.

Given all of this I think Jessica is maybe just a wee bit small still so we will persevere with the rear facer and hope she comes out the other end of hating journeys or buy more car toys!!! lol.

G x

Yep, that is what I would do. Even with good head control, the bigger FF seats are a risk. Abby went through the same. Have you tried one of those big mirrors on the seat?

Thanks mrs,

Yeah she has had a mirror for ages so obviously fed up looking at herself!!!

Hm.. Im in California and the law is 12 months and 20 pounds before you can turn the baby around and that is the minimum. Don't know if it is a law over there or not, so we don't really have a choice over here or get a HUGE ticket/fine.

Not sure if this helps, but just found this bit of information on babycenter.com

Turning your child to face forward too soon
Children have large heads and comparatively weak necks, so in a head-on collision a child's head can jerk forward suddenly and violently, resulting in spinal injuries. For this reason, keep your child rear-facing position as long as possible. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says to keep your child in a rear-facing car seat until the age of 2, or until he reaches the seat's maximum rear-facing height and weight limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->