Car seats

Tacey

Reaction score
I am thinking about this a ridiculously long way in advance, but oh well! I have a car with 2 doors where you lean the seats forward to get in the back. Are these a real pain for using car seats? We don't have a passenger airbag, so I think some of the seats would be ok in the front, but what about if I put the seat in the back?

If we need to buy a new car, I'd rather think about it now rather than too close to the birth. Has anyone had experience of this before?

Some car seats come with a base that is fixed into the car, which the car seat easily fits into. This seems like the easiest option as it will save you trying to muck about with seatbelts every time you put the seat in the car.

i got a car with 2 doors and when i take my nephew out its a real hassle getting him in and out and kills my back! we r getting rid of this car and getting a biigger one with 4 doors ready for our baby.

Im the same as you, have a KA which is small enough as it is without putting baby stuff in to.

The passenger side doesn't have an airbag so I will either have baby in front or will have to use backseats. I am going to try and use oh car as its 5 door but he is not to keen on driving mine as its a bit girly lol !

My main concern is the safety of the car, kas are so tiny id be worried if car is in an accident how easy it would be to access the back seats.

I have a 3 door car and i refused flatly to sell it when i was pregnant lol, and its a nightmare if im honest. You have to half climb in the back to get them strapped in, so for ease i got the maxi cosi cabrio carseat which is a doddle to fit.

i have a three door new beetle and tbh i have found it easier than fitting the car seat (maxi cosi) than in my mums five door people carrier as i can get in the back properly with my beetle. i suppose its personal preference, if your worried/concerned i would take your car to halfords/mothercare and fit a few car seats in it to see what you think :) x

Some car seats come with a base that is fixed into the car, which the car seat easily fits into. This seems like the easiest option as it will save you trying to muck about with seatbelts every time you put the seat in the car.

I was hoping to get one of those, but unfortunately the base doesn't fit into my car.

I also didn't realise but if you buy a car seat, take it home and it doesn't fit in your car, some shops won't take it back because you could have been in a car accident in that period of time. Always best to take your car to the shop from which you're planning on buying the car seat and ask the shop assistants to see first of all if the car seat you want and car seat base actually fit into your car. Mammas and Pappas did this for us.

Thanks everyone! I'd really like to keep the car if I can, so it's good to know that some people have managed. I think I will pop into a few shops and see what they suggest. It is such an important thing to buy, I want to make sure I get it right!

If there's no airbag then I would have bubs in the front....you'll do your back in trying to put the baby in the carseat in the back:dohh:. You can also tend to baby if they cry or make gagging/choking noises (as they often do when you're driving...just to shit you up:rofl:).

Go to Halfords or somewhere like that and they will check the suitablity of certain car seats in your car and be able to give advice too....you don't have to buy from them, just act interested and you will find out all you need to know:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

kiddiecare will show you have to put the car seat in your car to see if it fits and make sure you know how to put it in without buying it..

since my oh has a Vaxhuall Corsa Sxi 3Doors lol we got one with a safety base so it just clicks in and out easy was also allowed to make sure the pram fitted in the boot and if we go back before baby is due they will fit our car seat for us if we have forgotten how to do it :happydance:

EDIT::

our kiddiecare is like 3storys high and the size of a LARGE warehouse lol

Hi,

We've had big nightmares with car seats... I agree about putting the car seat in the front as long as it doesn't obscure your vision too much (when we tried a seat in DPs front car seat it really restricted his vision whereas I've only got two seats in my car but the special seat we've had to get for mine is ok!).

It really depends on what your car is and how long the seat belts are etc what seats you can choose from. Fords have short seat belts apparently (DPs Mondeo does anyway!), we found the Britax Rock a Tot was the best fit for his car (it's small so might be ideal for you?), they have them in Mothercare reduced to £49.99 at the moment as they're not in their new catalogue.

x

eta. definitely get someone to fit it and show you how it works and make sure the person knows what they're doing - the Mamas and Papas women said we could 'jam the seat in' by moving one on the seats which Mothercare said was really dangerous!

I was hoping to get one of those, but unfortunately the base doesn't fit into my car.

Hey Honey,
Just wondered if it was the Isofix base that you said doesn't fit your car?? It's just my car wouldn't take an Isofix either but you can get a regular base that stays in the car using the seatbelts, then you just click the car seat carrier onto it. I have a Ka and have had no trouble with it being only 2 door.
Hope this helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->