Car suggestions please : )

MumMumMum

Mummy to two girls x
Reaction score
We are going to downsize our people carrier for something smaller, more efficient and cheaper to insure and tax.

I'm hoping for a Fiesta (11 plate onwards) but not convinced the boot will be big enough :(

Can anyone suggest something smaller than a people carrier that has a decent boot for a pushchair and perhaps overnight bags too?

It HAS to have 5 doors or I smack my head on the roof getting the girls in and out :dohh:

We had a fiesta and upsized,(to mondeo) It wouldn't fit our travel system in (or, correction would if we took both wheels off and put the seat unit on the back seat lol) I think it would fit our baby jogger city mini or an umbrella stroller, but it wouldn't leave a lot of room for any shopping etc. so may be ok if you only have a small stroller. It is cheap to run tho ( we still have it as our second car) and is only 30/yr tax

The Kia rio is one of the most fuel efficient cars about, plus some models you don't have to pay road tax. No idea about boot space though :flower:

I have a vw polo (2009) and the boot is biggish. Think it depends on your pushchair as to how much else you could fit in it.

I have a VW Golf and it has loads of boot space. I have a bluemotion model so it's great on fuel. It fits my massive pushchair with loads of spare room.

We have a golf , it's a hatchback but deceptively big, ours has transported a dismantled double bed, wardrobes from ikea, a cooker, a washer (obv not all at same time) we go on hol in August and with three kids, 2 large suitcases, pram, travel cot, fishing gear we decided to do a test pack to make sure it all for in, we got the whole lot in the boot so still had room to stack in the back of the car too :) ours is the mark 4 range, 52 plate so is twelve years old but runs like a dream, we've made big journeys to Cornwall, lots of day trips, there's 122,000 miles on clock and we never have any issues, it starts first time, deffo doesn't look 12 years old, the interior still looks modern, I know in other countries they call it "bullet proof" going in OHs mums car which is younger is like being in a tin can!

Because of its age OH wants to upgrade to a newer car (he's a car enthusiast and we go to a lot of car events) and he doesn't like the newer shaped golfs as not as good to modify so he is lookin at Honda civic (has more boot space than the golf!) but he is in two minds as the golf is so reliable he doesn't wan to shoot himself in the foot and get one that has faults xx

We have a Jazz and it has great hidey places for storage. Love it

I've got a Honda Civic and the boot is always full of random crap, and it still gets a pushchair in and 5 or 6 bags of shopping!

You'll be surprised how big the boots are on Fiestas, FOB has a new shaped one and he fits a lot in his, including stuff for the kids when he took them away for the weekend so like suitcases, buggy etc.
Few years ago he had a ford focus.. the boots are pretty roomy on those and they're decent size, I drove it a couple of times and it didn't feel huge to drive/park but had a nice amount of room for the LO's in the back and all their stuff.

Another vote for the mk4 golf here, I have a 51 plate V5 and it's such a roomy car for its size. Plus VW's are very reliable cars x

We've just got a fiesta. We can fit the buggy in the boot fine aswell as shopping etc.
The best thing would be is to take your pram the the showroom and try it?

Ford Focus here, we had the old one for years and ended up buying a newer model when we needed to upgrade. I love it, big enough for what we need, small enough for me to drive lol!

We've just got a fiesta. We can fit the buggy in the boot fine aswell as shopping etc.
The best thing would be is to take your pram the the showroom and try it?

That is exactly what we have decided to do!

Thank you ladies. I'm excited to go car shopping this weekend.

I have a Honda Jazz .. huge boot space fits my oyster pram and loads of shopping. Also a very reliable car!

I have a mk 7 golf. Really reliable and huge boots. I moved house twice and got so much junto the boots, 4 massive boxes (moving boxes) pieces of furniture etc.
My boot has a thing where I can drop my boot floor a little more as well. I have a 5 door.

Also it's blue motion so no road tax and suprisingly cheap to insure!

We have an audi a3, it's built on the same platform as a golf so pretty roomy (although i would really like an estate!) Anuthing of that sort of size is usually fine for a travel system: golf, a3, focus, astra, leon etc.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following midsize hatches:

Seat Leon
VW Golf
Skoda Octavia
Audi A3
Honda Jazz
Honda Civic
Merc B Class
Ford Focus
Toyota Auris
Mazda 3
Hyundai i30