• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Carpal Tunnel in hands - any advice?

SabrinaKat

Delighted Mum to Finn
Reaction score
Hi, guys --

I have a problem which the GP says that there is nothing that can be done as am pregnant (growl), but have had minor problems with my hands in the cold weather last two winters and my usual method of ibruphren (sp) isn't feasible in pregnancy, sigh...but it's becoming a HUGE problem....

I get tingling in both hands and in particular, am woken up at night (not just to go to the loo at 5am thanks to bump and his Irish dancing), but now it's every few hours at night with painful, throbbing (sp) hands that spasm uncontrollably and nothing works -- I use a heating pad which makes them worse, I try a cold compress and nothing, I shake them, I sit upright, I walk around and of course, by the time, the pain is better (but still pins and needles), it's time to go to work! I actually had to take today off because was so tired and now, even typing this, my hands are tingling....any ideas?

please help!

Hey hun,

I had CTS before I got pregnant with my DS, so when I was about 5-6 months with him, I noticed it got SUPER severe, mine is actually more in my arm/elbow, so it's classified as Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, but is accompanied by the same tingling, numbness and pain as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, just in a different area.

Prior to my pregnancy with DS I had 3 surgeries to try to repair it, and once I became pregnant, my Orthopedic surgeon said there is really nothing that can be done for me. He did say that most OB's will allow a patient to get a cortisone shot while pregnant and that it is considered completely safe, but since I had them in the past and they didn't help, it really wasn't going to benefit me. That might be something to look into :D they did help me years ago before my condition got really really bad.

Hope you feel better, I know how bad it hurts! :hugs2:

Oh I know how you feel, ive got this now :( and sometimes I just want to chop my hands off, hot compress makes it worse as well as the wrist supports, i find sleeping with my hands on pillows really helps, raising them above your head or standing up with them by your side also helps.

I feel your pain, hope it gets better soon x

I had this last pg - I was given splints to wear during the night to stop me bending my wrists and also some silly exercises - I'm afraid neither worked for me and it only subsided when I gave birth :-( I hope you can find something to help x

I have this problem, too. Icing the underside of my wrists helps the swelling go down for a little while. Night splinting has helped a bit.

splinting is the only thing that helps a little but the pain will not subside until after birth when the baby gets off of the nerve! I wish you luck and hope you start feeling better!

I had this with my first pregnancy (thankfully it hasn't happened this time) and unfortunately it did get progressively worse, especially at night. I bought a splint in Boots (it was abotu £10 I think) for the wrist that was most affective and it did help to the extent that it stopped me from waking up in pain every time I moved in my sleep and jarred my hand.

Towards the end of my pregnancy I needed to wear my splint occasionally in the day too. The good news was it improved quickly after DD was born and was a distant memory after a week or two.

was able to get some sleep last night, but now, the tingling is bad in the day-time as well!!! Growl!! Only 4 more weeks of work until maternity leave and then, at least, if hands keep me up at night, can sleep in in the mornings....sigh

I'll get some splints tomorrow and cross fingers that they help....(the fingers that don't tingle with pins and needles, of course)

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"