Carpal Tunnel???

optimistic1

Mommy, Daddy, and Nadia!!
Reaction score
Im pretty sure thats what this is pain in my hand that wakes me up at night and it hurts all day long and if i use my hand too much it cramps and by the end of the day i want to chop it off and be done with it all together. Anyone with this thats talked to there doctor get anything for it? Usually anytime im having pains my doctor says "tylenol, heating pad, lay on your left side." Like a broken record and I dont have a heating pad, I refuse pain meds even if they are safe, and laying on my left side....is NOT going to stop this pain! Did anyones doctor supply them with a splint or a medical wrist band or something of that sort or did you have to go to your general practitioner for care like that? I just want to know if it'll be a waste of time to complain to my doctor.. I try not to complain to him too much he gets on my nerves sometimes and i just want to slap him...cause if im complaining to you about it that means ive tried everything and im desperate i dont want to here ADVICE that ive already tried i want you to cure me even if its incurable!

So was your doctor a waste with this problem or actually pretty helpful??

I've suffered badly with Carpal Tunnel in my left hand since about 30 weeks, first mentioned it to my midwife who told me to get a doctors appointment. My doctor was really good and referred me to an occupational therapist who gave me a wrist splint to wear at night, and it has really helped.

If your doctor is being a pain, can you see a different doctor at your surgery? It's worth it - the relief I've had from the splint is amazing :)

Im sure i could see a different doctor. I think if he doesnt help at all ill just make an appointment with my GP...He told me in the beginning of my pregnancy if im having any problems that didnt have anything to do with the baby to come to him cause OB-GYN's dont really know what to do unless its baby related. Its getting to be a real problem its in my right hand and i use that hand for EVERYTHING and the pain is gettting so bad that i cant move it at times or it sends a shooting pain up my arm so hopefully one of my doctors can help and then hopefully it goes away after i have the baby i probably couldnt even pick her up if i still have it when shes born.

Pain killers (paracetamol) makes mine much more bearable, usually makes it go away at least for a little while. It's worth considering if you are really suffering, as it's usually only the last few weeks they say best not to take anything.

Splints at night were great for me when I had it with ds. I got tubi grip to wear during the day as well

I had it really bad last pregnancy. Are your hands swollen? I read that when your hands are swollen, it can cause it. Try keeping your hands as elevated as you can at night and drink a lot of water. I'm not swollen this time around, and I haven't had any problems, but my fingers do feel tighter at night.

Had it horrible with my DD. It started out with just slight pain/tingling at night, eventually both my hands were numb 24/7 and in extreme pain at night.

As for doing anything, but doc said there's nothing he could do, it's normal pregnancy swelling that was causing it. The only thing that might help it was to wear a brace. It did go away as soon as giving birth, but like I said, by the time it came around I couldn't feel my fingers at all.

Love these pregnancy symptoms! :(

I used to sleep with my wrists bent under me all night and would have the same symptoms, my doc suggested wrist splints and my dad told me he had been wearing them for years. It took awhile to get used to having a straight wrist, but now I don't even need the splints. Also if I ever need to put weight on my wrists I don't bend them anymore I ball my hand up and put the weight on my knuckles like an ape, lol

My orthopedic doc says carpel tunnel is tingling, not shooting pains. Pain like that is tendinitis and you need an ice pack, not heat and a splint for days / nights. If that doesn't work, a shot of cortisone usually takes it all away. :flower:

I've been suffering with it too, but self diagnosed. I ordered a splint online and wore it for first time last night. It made a massive difference, no numbness waking me up at all. Think it may take longer to affect the pain during the day. :thumbup:

I've had it for the last 4 months of this pregnancy, and am 3 weeks till due date. I'd have shooting pain in the wrists (both of them) and numbness and tingling in my fingers/hands. I've tried everyone (accupuncture, physical therapy, ice, hydration, etc) and the only two things that have been helping are the wrist splints at night and when it's bad during the day (I bought them at a Walgreens, specifically CT splints) and massage. You can't go to a swedish light type of place. I went to a massage therapist who is also a chiropractor, and he massage my wrists/hands like mad, pushing the blood/water retention back up your arms. It really helps for a few weeks after the massage. Still has never been totally normal, my fingers are always slightly tingly and wrists sore, but at least it's bearable. Hoping it goes back to normal in a few weeks, I don't even know what normal is anymore! :)

My orthopedic doc says carpel tunnel is tingling, not shooting pains. Pain like that is tendinitis and you need an ice pack, not heat and a splint for days / nights. If that doesn't work, a shot of cortisone usually takes it all away. :flower:

That's not what I've heard :S
Have you ever done a big jump and when you landed, got shooting pains upwards from your feet? That's how my doc described it, and you get the same pain in your hands too...obviously without doing big jumps etc.
I suspect it's more likely to be tinging and/or shooting pain rather than just tingling.

Just relaying with I was told by my obstetrician and an orthopedic surgeon.

Mines was and is starting again, like someone trying to rip my hands in two between my middle and fourth finger

when its at its worst it feels like someone really strong just crunched my hand..in the middle of the night ill wake up to it being swollen and sharp tingly pains (as if it fell asleep) then throughout the day it just feels like my bones are breaking. If i dont use my hand for awhile the pain goes away. This morning i did my hair and afterward the pain was terrible i couldnt even open my water bottle with my right hand and then after resting on the couch awhile the pain went away. My doctors appointment is thursday so hopefully he can tell me where i can go in my neighborhood to get some relief. If hes not helpful ill probably try the getting a splint from the pharmacy since alot you said that helped alot.. Thank you all very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->