Carrier for a 2 year old who has never been worn before?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
Hello ladies, I have no experience with baby wearing, but we're taking our very active toddler to Marrakech in December and he still wants to be carried some of the time, I think it would be easier and safer if OH and I could wear him in a carrier some of the time. Where do we start? What sort of carrier is suitable and comfortable? Nothing huge with a frame though as we need to be able to fit it in our suitcase preferably! Is he likely to fight it if he's never been in a carrier before? Is he too old? What would you experienced baby wearers recommend? Thank you xx

I started Babywearing Sophie about 3 months ago, so not as old as your cutie pie will be but still at that stubborn toddler age! I started out with an ergo, which was fine, but I wanted something a bit larger and more colourful. I did use a moby wrap when she was a small baby but that was a while ago.

I settled on a standard sized kinderpack, but she is short, I didn't want to get the toddler size until she was older. The toddler size would be perfect for you I reckon.

I have one with a mesh panel in the middle for air-flow.

What I love about the kinderpack:

the koolnit panel
the colourful designs
the waistband doesn't dig into my stomach
it's very light and can be rolled up into a small shape (perfect for the suitcase)
it has excellent seat shaping
Sophie loves it and is well supported and comfortable
dual adjust buckles on the arm straps makes it much easier than the ergo to adjust strap length when she's on my back
nice wide and well padded shoulder straps
it's soooo comfortable, I can carry her for hours
It turned my OH into a babywearer! He thought it was stupid before
I can even carry my older child in it and he loves it. He'd never been worn before apart from one try with a ring sling when he was 3 months old
the price - it was cheaper than the ergo and is handmade by work at home mums

I also tried and liked a Tula, but didn't like the arm straps being perminantly attached to the body of the carrier. I like buckles! It's also a fabulous carrier though.

I started Babywearing Sophie about 3 months ago, so not as old as your cutie pie will be but still at that stubborn toddler age! I started out with an ergo, which was fine, but I wanted something a bit larger and more colourful. I did use a moby wrap when she was a small baby but that was a while ago.

I settled on a standard sized kinderpack, but she is short, I didn't want to get the toddler size until she was older. The toddler size would be perfect for you I reckon.

I have one with a mesh panel in the middle for air-flow.

What I love about the kinderpack:

the koolnit panel
the colourful designs
the waistband doesn't dig into my stomach
it's very light and can be rolled up into a small shape (perfect for the suitcase)
it has excellent seat shaping
Sophie loves it and is well supported and comfortable
dual adjust buckles on the arm straps makes it much easier than the ergo to adjust strap length when she's on my back
nice wide and well padded shoulder straps
it's soooo comfortable, I can carry her for hours
It turned my OH into a babywearer! He thought it was stupid before
I can even carry my older child in it and he loves it. He'd never been worn before apart from one try with a ring sling when he was 3 months old
the price - it was cheaper than the ergo and is handmade by work at home mums

I also tried and liked a Tula, but didn't like the arm straps being perminantly attached to the body of the carrier. I like buckles! It's also a fabulous carrier though.

Thank you minties, that sounds fab! (and especially great to get a recommendation from someone I 'know' from toddler forums too!) I'm going to see if my local sling library has one I can try out. That gives me hope that you've only introduced Sophie to it recently, hopefully Micah will enjoy the novelty and not freak out at being restricted!!

I thought Sophie would get upset too but she loves it, she asks for a "mummy back cuddle" lots now, even just to be held while we are walking around the house. She's not a particularly clingy toddler and still enjoys it a lot.

Another vote here for toddler sized kinderpack :)

He might fight it - it really depends on his personality. But he might find it a real novelty given that he has never been worn! He might love it!

I don't really use mine anymore, but back when I wore him more often, even though he sometimes complained about going in the carrier he always settled quickly once he was in there.

If possible, try to borrow one from a friend as your DO may not take to being worn at all.

I carried my DO in a Manduca until he was 16 months old. I walked for hours with him in it. The maximum weight to carry a child is 20kgs. So, I think your 2 year old could still be carried in one.

I only stopped using the it for longer walks because we got a very basic hiking backpack as we do a lot of walking as a family. It is lightweight and fits into our suitcase.

I found as he got bigger, having him so up close made us both very hot and bothered. Also, I could take the hiking carrier off and use it as a chair for feeding him in. There is a pocket for storage, which is really useful! Now, I use both depending on the activity.

Do practice getting your baby into and out of what ever carrier you decide on. Especially if you don't get a hiking carrier. At first it can feel challenging to put on by yourself, especially with baby on the back.

Have a great holiday!

I just got a toddler kinderpack and they are pretty big actually! Fits my 3.5 year old perfectly, he's 50th centile for length 100cm or so) and 75th for weight. I reckon a standard size carrier might be more appropriate for a 2 year old. The kinderpack standard is well sized. The toddler feels way too big for Sophie, like she won't suit it for another year too big!

We havea toddler connecta which is great and as it is less padded it folds down really small. Do you have a sling library near you? Then you can try on various types, get some help from a babywearing consultant on how to get LO on your back and even loan one for your holiday so you don't have to buy one to go on holiday.

https://ukslinglibraries.wordpress.com/find-a-sling-library-near-you/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->