Carseat Challenge

HLanders

Mom of twin girls
Reaction score
I don't know if they do this in the UK, but in the states if a baby is born before 36 weeks the hospital makes them do a carseat challenge before they leave the hospital. My girls failed, their pulseox's were down in the 80's and even dipped into the 70's before they put oxygen on them. So we left the hospital with the girls on required oxygen whenever they were in the carseats. Needless to say, twin newborns on oxygen, I hated having to go to doctors visits and haven't even taken them on a walk because it's such a hassle with all the equipment.

Tonight we're doing a re-test, and so far they're doing really well! They're almost 4 weeks old, so I'm really happy! Anyone else dealing with the carseat challenge?

Never heard of this - the only carseat challenge we had was... "got yer carseat? fine give us the security tag and bye."

Yeah here in the uk they do the carseat challenge too.

My little girl struggled with it and dropped a few times but passed in the end and got home the next day.

Yep I've heard of it too, I cant remember if we had to do it though!

We had to do it for my first dd. She failed the first time but had it down on the retest. needless to say I was heartbroken till she passed as they wouldn't let her come home and we had a two hour drive to get home. Hope they pass this time around and you can get rid of all of the extra equipment.

My 28.6 weeker and 35 weeker had to do the "car seat" challenge. They had to sit in it for 30-60 minutes without any problems. :thumbup:

At our NICU they called it a 'carseat study,' it took 90 minutes, and I don't know how my LO passed but she did! Even though her carseat is marketed for 4-30 lb babies (she is 5 lb 10 oz), she does not fit in the thing. She slumps all the way down to the bottom no matter how tight the straps, and her head rests on her chest so fully that her little cheeks get bunched up. I don't know how she could have satted well and had no bradys in that posture (or how any baby could, for that matter) but she did!

Good luck with your LOs second pass at the carseat test--I hope they pass with flying colors so they can ditch the oxygen!

Yep we had one too, my daughter was a 33weeker and passed her carseat challenge at 2weeks old :)
This is one of the reasons I hate seeing people walk round town with babies in there carseats on prams for long periods. I think it's much better for their breathing to be laid flat in their pushchair/pram :)

Good luck with the retest!

Yep, my 36weeekers were in NICU for 16 and 18 days. They both passed their car seat test, but yeah...those first few weeks in the car seats was brutal on me. They looked SO scrunched up and uncomfortable. At 10 weeks from birth, they are over 8 pounds each and finally filling out their seats.

Good luck with their tests!

My daughter was born at 34 weeks to the day in Japan (at a U.S. Naval Hospital) and she had to do the carseat challenge for two hours once she hit 4 lbs. and was ready to come home. She also has two heart defects and high respiratory rate, so I'm really surprised she passed it. She was also all hunched over with her chin to her chest. Oh, and she screamed the whole time. That was fun.

I rode in the backseat with her while my husband drove for a while because I thought it was just a fluke that she did well during the test.

Did they mention to you the preemie carseats that lay down more like a bed? I know a lot of hospitals rent them out. Just in case they don't pass, I'd ask about it, but I'm sure they'll do great this time around!

We're off the oxygen!! We got cleared today! I think they kept failing because of the altitude, we're over a mile high... Even I had a tough time when we first moved here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->