Carseats- moving up a stage?

lulu0504

Bella's Mummy
Reaction score
I know Bella is only nearly 4 months but it seems she's outgrown both of her car seats. We have a maxi cosi and a m&p primo viaggio which should both last to around 9 months but she seems too long for them. Her feet seem to touch the seats in the car and was wondering when we need to uprgrade to the next size? Any ideas?

their feet is fine to touch the sit, its when their head is at the top of the car seat you need to change it over hun, even if they are not 20 lbs as long as they are sitting up.

No you don't need to move on to nxt one, alot of babies end up longer then their carseats. You don't need to move her on until she is a certain weight (it will say somewhere on carseat) Forward facing don't give enough support to younger babies. Hope that helped x

Just looks like she has outgrown it. was just talkin to my friend who said their head needs to be 1" from the top before you upgrade. Thanks Kaci

Kaya outgrew hers at about 5 months, but you do need to keep them in a rear facing seat for as long as possible. You can go to Mothercare or the police and ask them to check if the seat's still ok for the baby, and if not, what you should do.

If she really is too small for her carseat what about something like this
https://www.mothercare.com/gp/produ...?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44451031&mcb=core
Bigger then most rear facing but also when she is abit older it faces forward x

My son was quite long as a baby and his feet used to overhang his car seat.

At 5 months we went to get a new one and were told he was fine, his legs bend!!

The lady told us that its best to keep them in forward facing car seat for as long as possible as they offer more protection.

Also she said kian needed to be able to sit unaided and his head had to go over the top before going in a forward facing car seat.

He eventually had a forward facing car seat at 7-8 months.

I think someone on here asked this along time ago.. like, back when I was preggo. Or I may have heard this somewhere else.. cannot remember.
But they had asked their doctor and he said to keep them in the first newborn stage until they get to the weight (Coltons carseat is 22lbs). It doesn't matter if their legs are squished or not. He had just come out and asked her if she would rather her babies legs get broken in a wreck or it's neck? Having their legs squished was alot safer than putting them in a carseat that wasn't yet made for them.
At first I thought that was horrible.. but if you think about it.. it's true.
Colton is almost 20lbs, he will probably be in the next stage at about 6-6.5 months. I'm going to get a rear facing one though still. Here it is recommended to keep them rear facing for the first year.

^ I recall that I believe it was Helen who mentions the legs and the nea situation and it makes sense.

I have the maxi cosi as well and Josh's legs are way to long ! It's fine until they reach the weight. xx

I haven't even thought about this yet. We just took off the infant support/padding. Is my girl like a teeny little baby or something? She was big at birth, and now seems to be falling behind all of your babies. She is not even close to having her legs reaching the end of her car seat yet!:shrug:

Looks like she's gonna be in these seats for a while yet then as she's not even 14lbs yet. Makes sense though about broken legs being preferable to broken necks! Just looks a bit odd when her legs look squashed up but as long as i know its safe then its fine. Thanks for all of your advice...This is exaclty why i love BnB!

I haven't even thought about this yet. We just took off the infant support/padding. Is my girl like a teeny little baby or something? She was big at birth, and now seems to be falling behind all of your babies. She is not even close to having her legs reaching the end of her car seat yet!:shrug:

aww.. she isn't behind! Colton was 9lbs14, 21.5in at birth. He is almost grown out of his weight wise, but could still grow more length wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->