Cat and kitten help please

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
My cat had 2 kittens 2days ago.

They sleep in a box they were born in with her in the kitchen.

Tonight our cat went upstairs and left the kittens, then she came back down, when I looked in her box again she had taken one away.

DS came running downstairs saying she had taken it behind his bed!

DH got the back out and we put them back in the box.

She has attempted this once more but we put her back before she got out of the lounge.

I've read that this is probably because she doesn't feel safe, and also that if a cat feels her litter is threatened and that she can't move them she may kill them.

But I can't have her behind DS bed, simply because I don't trust him, he would interfere with them all the time.

What do I do????

Where is the box at the moment? If you can move that to a dark, quiet room or cupboard, she might be happier :hugs:

xxx

Its in the kitchen, near the door.

We have had to shut the living room door as she keeps bringing the kittens in trying to get upstairs.

I think we may get one of those pet cages and put it at the other end of the kitchen and cover it up.

I'm just worried she may hurt them if she cant get them where she wants x

It may be that she feels that the kittens are too disturbed, or that it's too busy a pathway to leave them their. You may have to leave them in a seperate room completely. If there's too much traffic, for example, into a kitchen, then she may not feel comfortable leaving them there. she'll want them in a quiet haven, in a quiet room or box or something, left undisturbed until they start to want to walk a bit, but thats not for about 7weeks!

xo

my cat put her kittens in a drawer of my dresser, we just let her keep them there bacause it was always quiet in our bedroom and they didnt get disturbed.
is your cat an outdoor cat? im asking because when i was a child, my cat had 4 kittens and she regularly brought the kittens into my bed in the morning so she could go outside for a while, sort of for me to babysit. if yours is cat that is let outside, maybe thats what she is trying to do!

She would never knowingly take them to DS's bedroom, she hates him lol.

She is fine today hasnt tried to move them once.

We were frying fish and chips for tea last night, is it possible she didnt like the smell and wanted to move them?

If she moves 1 again, move the box to where she has taken the 1st.

She is doing what any Mum does, she is protecting her young.

Once they start moving, she will tell them off and they will come running when shes mew.

V xx

I just dont want them in DS's room, they won't be safe in there. He's too curious, he's already picked one up!! He would be prodding them with toys to try and make them come out.

cant you shut his bedroom door? so she gets to choose somewhere else to put them, i can only agree with whats been said, it is totally natural for them to want to move and protect their young and if she is forced into being somewhere she isnt happy having them it will cause her stress

I agree with moving the box and maybe putting like a nice warm blanket or something in the box so she feels her kittens will be safe and move the box to a dark small hideaway place

Ok here goes - I might be saying stuff you already know so bear with me...

There may be a draft or it might be a bit too busy for her there - behind DS bed is probably nice and warm (heating pipe under the floor?) and no one goes there! She'll be fiercly protective of the kits... to a point.

Ideally (and I know its not your preferred choice) under DS bed would be the best spot, as mum-cat has chosen this and she must feel its the warmest and safest place in the house. So, shut DS door and don't let her in and she'll find somewhere else. Try and make a few soft, warm places around the house - completely out of the way. (a large carboard box with some blankets in is great) She'll pick a new spot fairly quickly if her preferred spot is out of reach. We've used under the stairs as it can be blocked off away from prying visitors. It is a nightmare to have a few "beds" around the house but once she's chosen a place you can clear the rest away. Make sure mum-cat can get in and out as she will want a break from them every now and again but wont leave them if she feels its not safe. A baby gate that has the mesh is great for this as mum-cat can escape but the kittens cant. As the kittens get older, they'll need a bit more room as they'll start walking round (but again, keep them confined to one spot). Try not to touch any of the kittens for a while, cats will abandon kittens quite easily if they do not smell "right" or if mum-cat thinks you are taking care of them for her.

The only reason I say that is while its not hugely likely mum will kill the kittens, she may stop looking after them if she gets stressed or if the kittens are going downhill. The last thing you want is mum abandoning the kittens at such a young age (2hr feeds with the kitten bottle is only half the battle, they wont get "social training" from mum on how to behave, toilet training etc.). Its a nightmare hand-rearing.

Its imperative that mum-cat is kept relaxed, especially the first week. I'm sure you know but let mum cat eat as much as she wants, she'll need to extra energy to feed the kittens. I'll dig out the numbers but once mum is a bit more settled and the kits are a few days older, you can start weighing them on digital scales (I cant stress this more!) - I'm sure its 100g per week weight gain you are looking for - keep a note of how much they weigh so you can keep an eye out for problems. If you notice that the kittens haven't put enough weight on (say they only put on 40g that week), then you can keep an eye out for potential issues.

Don't let the kids near the kittens for a while yet, but if mum-cat is comfortable with you then you can start sitting with them (dont touch, just get mum used to the fact that your there and its safe) and then when you do start handling them mum wont be too agitated.

It is an upheaval, but it wont be too long till the kittens are jumping round causing trouble!

Hope this helps,

Sarah xxx

thanks op for posting & for everyone who gave advice......

my cat very unexpectedly went into labour today & so far has had 2 kittens.... we couldn't be more shocked, we didn't know she was pregnant!! she is such a teeny petite cat & did not have a big belly at all. i read that there could be more born later, but as she's such a small cat I really think she's done..

mummy & kittens are in my ds' cupboard in we managed to get them in a box with blankets & have left them in the cupboard for now.

as you can see from my ticker I'm currently 3 days overdue & she's beaten me to it!!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->