Cat Nets for moses basket / cot

Angela49uk

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these or bought one?

I was thinking I should get one to stop the cat potentially jumping in the moses basket, but surely the cat will still try and jump on top anyway and could still squash the baby.

Obviously I intend on keeping a very close eye on the baby, in particular when cat is around, but just wandering what everyones opinion is. xx

I'd be interested to find this out aswell, i had a little look at the weekend and the nets ive found are pretty cheap (£3.50 delivered on amazon) so the cost is not a problem i just wonder if they are worthwhile as like you say the cats just jump on the nets anyway?

Either way keeping the cat away is the best thing to do but if the nets help to deter them from the moses basket then surely they cant be a bad thing?

x

It's the one on amazon for £3.50 i've been looking at as well and like you, the cost isnt an issue. I just dont see the point of buying it if it's not going to be worth while x

Hello, the only time my 2 cats went near the moses basket was when DD wasn't in it so I just turned it upside down when it wasn't being used - not the prettiest look I agree but the most practical. Most cats that I've known tend to steer clear of babies as they are unpredictable and noisy and if I'd put a net on mine it would have been destroyed anyway as the cats are 'playful'. I never left the cats and DD in a moses basket unattended anyway so I didn't see the need, it might be easier to shut the cat out the room if you needed to? :)

Hopefully my cat won't be interested in the basket then when LO isnt in it, that's my main concern.

Closing the cat out of the room when need be may be the best idea, as i would still worry otherwise, even with a cat net x

We don't have a cat but our neighbours have three young cats. I picked up a cheap cat net in Mothercare which I intend to use when the baby is in the garden in the pram. Then I can relax knowing he's safe.

I heard a great tip the other day! Put up the basket, and put a balloon in it. As soon as your cat jumps into it the balloon will pop and scare the cat into the next week. It'll likely never come near the basket again. ^^

When I tried a cat net over the crib pre-baby, the cats just jumped on top of it. They never did that to the baby though. I've never bothered using the thing.

I never bothered with cat nets, we have three cats and they have all been fine, the only place they want to be is in the pram! But not when baby is in there!

I heard a great tip the other day! Put up the basket, and put a balloon in it. As soon as your cat jumps into it the balloon will pop and scare the cat into the next week. It'll likely never come near the basket again. ^^

Ha! I can see that working very well. I hate seeing my cat scared though :wacko:

I have never actually heard of these! We are worried out our cat a little bit as he is deaf and will not be detered by the screaming baby and he is so inquisitive!

I probably won't bother though to be honest. I'm going to have to be extra vigilent any way and I know it's going to be hard work so I don't think I would make much use of it.

I would imagine though that the nets might not deter lots of cats. I know if our cat wants to jump on something, a net isn't going to put him off!

xx

I can highly recommend. We had one for the moses basket from mothercare and it was great. i think it was about 4.50. it pulls taut so if they try and get on top it won't sink into moses basket but they don't like the mesh so they won't try and climb on top anyway. It may depend on how your cat is but our cats are very inquisitive and love our daughter and everytime she wasn't in the moses basket they wanted to get in it, so I'm pretty sure they would have wanted to climb in with her if we didn't have net. It just gives you peace of mind if LO is asleep and you need to go to the loo or make some tea or something.

i have a cot one from john lewis that i think is useless though. now she is in her own room when she is asleep in the cot we pull her bedroom door to so that they aren't in the room with her. it was too much of a faff to pull over the cot plus we can simply shut the door, which we couldn't do when she was napping in the moses basket in other parts of our open plan flat.

What do you do when you have a cat who loves balloons, especially when they pop?!

I've bought a cat net from amazon and have tried it out, it covers nicely but if a cat sat on it, it would dip right into the moses basket. Am hoping it will be a deterrent at least as our downstairs is open plan so can't close any doors on the cats. Haven't seen a single review that has said the cot nets are any good so definitely won't be getting one of them, will be keeping the bedroom door shut anyway though. All in all think I'm just going to have to be vigilant!

i dont think we'll bother. we have 2 house cats, they have both jumped in the moses basket and cot when i've left the baby's room door open so i'm just gonna have to shut them out. my main concern is when shes in her chair/bouncer and the play gym as i dont want the cats crawling over that so again think i'll have to shut them out then too. but we'll see how they react with the baby. they tend to run away from any kids we've had round so hopefully they'll stay clear. they love playing though and anything that dangles they'll go for. i even have to shut the door when i have clothes on the airer as they'll pull them all down. so for us, locking them out is the best and safest option. x

we have bought a cat net just in case. Our cat is a very curious little bugger who does not take kindly to being told what to do. I can see us taking him out of the crib and him going straight back in. Then again, he may have no interest at all.

We did have a problem with him using our parrot cages as climbing frames but found that a simple spray bottle deterred him. After a few occasions of him being sprayed with water all we need to do is show him the bottle and he gets off... may hang one on the crib if he becomes a problem.

We got a net with the carry cot we'll be using as a crib for baby. As it originally came from a pram it has a cover and hood, and if I put those on and the net over the top quite tautly then the cat can't actually get onto where the baby would be. She does tend to still sit on the flat bit at the foot of the cover though. On the whole, if baby is going to be in there unsupervised or when we're asleep I plan on keeping the door closed to stop the cats going into the room at all. I'm not sure our cats will want to be too close though once they've heard how a baby can cry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->