CD 21 testing

sarah2211

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last cycle my GP ran the CD 3 and CD 21 testing. I understand the CD21 test is to check if ovulation has occurred, usually around CD14.

I also track my cycle using BBT and cm. My last cycle was 35 days and I O'd on CD23. Because of my longer cycle I was expecting that my blood test would show no sign of ovulation because I took the test 2 days before I ovulated. However, my test came back normal according to the nurse.

Anyone know what could be going on? Did I ovulate earlier than FF suggested then?

Thanks

Ugh, some doctors need to go out and buy a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility and READ IT! The 21 day progesterone check assumes you ovulate on day 14 and therefore by day 21 your progesterone levels will indicate that you have ovulated. If you have longer cycles and ovulate later than the 21 day test is useless. Keep temping to confirm ovulation.

I switched docs, the first doc wanted to do a 21 day test. My new doc said to temp and come in 7 days after I ovulate to get the blood draw.

Thanks 2ducks. That's what I had thought too. But I went ahead and did it on CD21 knowing that I have longer cycles and wouldn't have ovulated by then. That's why I was expecting it to be abnormal. But the blood tests said I did ovulate but my temperature hadn't risen by then. So I'm confused, my blood test said I had ovulated but my temp said I hadn't. I'm not sure which to believe and if I'm timing BD right now... Any idea 2ducks?

my doc wanted me at day 21. Which I did for the first month I was on letrzole. no ovulation. The second month, due to my pcos, my temp didn't show a definite spike and I went on day 21 again and while it did show ovulation the number was low. there was a big dip and spike on cd 17 and I suspect that is when I ovulated. So the next month I told my doc I ovulated on cd 17 last cycle and should I change it to 7 dpo like I read, she said no, keep it at day 21. I am working with a fertility clinic!! I said screw that and I now go 7 days after suspected ovulation (which is cd 17-19).

If you just have a requisition form, I say screw the doctor and go 7 days after suspected O date.

as to it being normal range...that is odd. it's possible you had a fluctuation in your progesterone at the time. it goes up and down through out your cycle and unless you know what the number is it could be low but technically enough to make them think you ovulated. Or it was on it's way up because you were about to ovulate. Hormones are tricky things and don't always behave the way we think they should.

by your temps I would say ovulation occurred just as FF said, on cd 23

Thanks Aayla, I think you helped me earlier in the month before I went and did the test. I was thinking about waiting 7dpo but I figured that if I followed the doctors instructions and it didn't show ovulation then they'd look further into it and might make other suggestions.

I was wondering that too, if perhaps it was only just normal or I had a low level of progesterone. But I took the test of CD 22 and ovulated on CD 23. I would have thought that the hormones I was releasing the day before and 7 dpo would be quite different. My DH and I BD whenever we can because he's in the military and goes away often, so we make the most of the time we get!

I do need to see my GP as my blood tests have relieved positive results for some specific lupus antibodies so I'll follow up with it then

Thanks 2ducks. That's what I had thought too. But I went ahead and did it on CD21 knowing that I have longer cycles and wouldn't have ovulated by then. That's why I was expecting it to be abnormal. But the blood tests said I did ovulate but my temperature hadn't risen by then. So I'm confused, my blood test said I had ovulated but my temp said I hadn't. I'm not sure which to believe and if I'm timing BD right now... Any idea 2ducks?

Hmmmm. I have no idea! THat is really confusing. Just keep on temping and BDing to make sure you are hitting your fertile window. Also, FF will sometimes think you ovulated and then change the ovulation date after you enter more temps and it recalculates data. It may take a full cycle to see what is going on.

Thanks 2ducks. I thought that maybe FF would change my ovulation date last cycle but it didn't. It still says I ovulated CD23 and I did the blood test which confirmed ovulation on CD22.

I'm off to the doctor this afternoon. It's a male doctor and I also have to discuss some other urgent stuff that's not TTC related so we will see what kind of response I get.

Thanks

So I went to the doctor. I think (I can't really remember) he said my estrogen levels were a little low in my 3/21CD test. He has reordered a full panel of my hormones. Plus I'm being retested for clotting stuff with my lupus. He said that if these blood tests come back abnormal he's going to consult with a gynocologist about starting me on Metformin. If they're normal he said to have my husband tested. Of course if we get pregnant this month then we don't need to (I can dream!).

He said my chart looked beautiful and I'm ovulating based on my chart. So we will see what happens next.

That's awesome. Glad he has agreed with your chart. Fx for this cycle for you!!

Hi Aayla. Yes he did say that possibly if I had waited a few more days to do the blood tests then it wouldn't have been so low. But I don't really understand. I think he's been very thorough in the blood tests and said for me to keep charting and BD every second day.

Nice, this is the perfect example of how helpful charting can be! So many women don't want the hassle but it really can help confirm O especially with erratic cycles.

Thanks 2Ducks. Still haven't heard anything from the doctor. But if all is ok then I wont hear, if things are abnormal then the doctor was going to speak with a gyno, so that could take a while.

It's funny because my DH thinks temping is some kind of witchcraft...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->