Centile chart? Do they mark back?

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
Just got Oliver weighed on Thursday, hadn't been in ages..well anyway he weighed 13lb 13oz so she says he's doing really well and he's on the 75th centile for even full term babies so I thought wow this is really good. It was only later when I was thinking his weight doesn't sound much for a full term baby and he can't be heavier than 75% of full term 16 week olds.

I checked the chart and for a full term baby he would be in the 25th centile (if I'm reading it right) but she'd marked him at 8 weeks so if he was 8 weeks old then he'd be in the 75th centile.

Is this right? I thought they only marked them back if they didn't put on weight so well. The whole centile chart things confuse me anyway but I'd rather keep track of how caught up he is. I'm happy with his weight either way.

Our NNU marks weight to corrected age. Anya was born at 23+6 and is 1yo next week, but her weight is charted at 8months. Unfortunately my HV doesn't get this and despite being told repeatedly but both the NNU nurses and myself, she charts her at 12 months, and I mark it back. xx

Our hospital mark to corrected age too.

this was at the baby clinic so sounds like they are doing it right then, cos they marked him almost 8 weeks back. I might do a second mark myself then so I can see how he's doing corrected and actual.

They should work to ccorrected, but I aslo used to look at actual. At this stage he is just under 50th actual and just over corrected so took just over a year to catch up :)

corrected chart here too, our chart started from something like 25 weeks gestation and then it goes onto corrected age

Leo's chart is plotted by actual age, then marked back using an arrow to his corrected. Took me ages to get my head around it!

Niamhs is plotted to actual but then marked back to corrected. She was massive when she was born so they do it for all prem babys

It is very confusing isn't it, Oliver is just on the normal full term baby chart now,is that right? He was marked on the pre term one until 2 weeks after his due date. They are also not marking his actual age just his corrected, I mean it's fine he doesn't appear to have any weight issues, I'm just greedy and would like to see both. But if I understand it right I can plot it myself. It was only when she said "he's on the 75th centile" and when I said "what, even as if he was full term?" and she said yes. Then I thought later on "he can't be, can he" and checked and she was talking about him as being 8 weeks old. So yes full term 8 week he's in the 75th centile but he's 16 weeks old so in 25th centile as if he was full term. I have got this right haven't I? I'm confusing myself now.

The easiest way to do it is to plot his weight for his actual age, then just draw a little dashed line back 8 weeks (or however many weeks early he was) and mark that too. That way you will have both marked on the chart. I do mine in another colour to make it clearer. If you have both marked you can see how they are doing catching up.x

Also - I wouldn't get too hung up on centiles - I've always had my son weighed every fortnight as I've wanted to see how he is doing with his weight (even now and he is 9 months old), but he was in hospital over the weekend and the scales there showed him as a whole 1lb lighter than the HV scales, they shrugged it off as 'scale calibration' and said it's not uncommon for different scales to be that far out!

The easiest way to do it is to plot his weight for his actual age, then just draw a little dashed line back 8 weeks (or however many weeks early he was) and mark that too. That way you will have both marked on the chart. I do mine in another colour to make it clearer. If you have both marked you can see how they are doing catching up.x

Got it! :thumbup::thumb up: x

My HV marks both for me with a dotty line going from on to the other. Shes on the 50th for corrected and 0.4 for actual x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->