cereal to veggies/fruits...

nataliecn

Mommy to Grady and WTT!
Reaction score
When it comes to weaning, and putting babies on fruits/veggies... do you do it completely based on age, or the fact that we've already started grady on rice cereal, would we start a little earlier?

I'm so confused... I'm curious what everyone here did? A lot of stuff I've read online said they started fruits/veggies within 2-3 weeks of cereal... I just don't want to have him on just rice cereal too long, or start him on fruits/veggies too early.

I only ask this soon after starting, because I plan on making my own baby food, so I gotta start figuring out what/when, etc.

I would say introduce a new food each week, ie: carrot one week, sweet potato another etc. that way you can eliminate anything that upsets him etc. I would personally do a few weeks on rice first to make sure he is ok with that :hugs:

Hope Grady is feeling better xxx

I'm glad you asked this! We started LeeAnne on rice cereal last night..and I have no idea when to introduce veggies..all I know is they say to start with veggies first and then do fruits. I think we are going to wait 2-3 weeks and then start veggies.

Brooke was weaned early onto baby rice at just over 3 months ... i just kept her on baby rice until she hit 4 months and then introduced fruit/veggies.

Personally i wanted to hold off on fruit/veggies until 4 months as i felt she just didnt need them before then, we weaned early because of reflux not because she wasnt satisfied with her milk iykwim?

I don't think at his age you really have to worry too much about waiting too long for fruits and veggies....he doesn't really need the nutrients in it yet so you're losing nothing by waiting a bit.

The ones we started Hannah on (if you want to go ahead and puree some ahead) were sweet potato, butternut squash, carrot (though i never managed to puree that one), peas, and green beans I think for the veggies.

For fruit purees we do pear, pineapple, and peaches. You can do more but Hannah moved so quickly onto finger foods that I never really bothered....

Ok! I knew I'd be doing sweet potatoes, I just wasn't sure what else!

Also - should I always leave him at the one cereal feed each day, when should I introduce another one?

When you think he needs it really...

We tried introducing a second meal early as we'd weaned early but found that Hannah didn't really need it. Around 5.5 months we put her back on the second meal and moved really quick from there to a third meal

apples apparently puree well too but we honestly just buy unsweetened apple sauce as it's cheaper :blush:, bananas and avocados you can just mush up when he gets older....trying to think of what else I gave Hannah when she was young :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->