Cerebral Palsy

CandJ

Reaction score
So we were told the other day that my daughter's cerebral palsy was probably caused by the placenta malfunctioning towards the end of my pregnancy meaning that not enough nutrients got to the right places.

Anyone else been told this?

I'm petrified it'll happen to our new baby as well, anyone know what the likelyhood is?

Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to reduce the possibility of anything going wrong? Obviously if the baby does have cerebral palsy when it's born we'll cope and love it just as much. We just want toknow whats going to happen!

Sorry, no experience of that.

DS2's was caused by my abruption at 33 weeks. Well, I had an abruption at 33 weeks, he was delivered by em c section, when they opened me up the placenta was fully detached so that is the most likely cause. I refused an MRI when he was 4 after his consultant suggested it could have happened earlier in the pregnancy (I would NOT cope with being told that I had failed more than I felt I already had, it took long enough to convince myself that I hadn't failed in the first place).

I did have another baby, my little miracle DD was born safe and sound and so far, I can't see any problems at all!

i dont have personal experience of this but my mate has cerebral palsy due to the cord wrapping around her kneck during labour but shes had a perfectly normal life and her brother has had no "problems" what so ever.

My LO may have cerebral palsy,we wont know until she is older, but that was caused by the shock of prematurity, causing a brain haemorrage.

I would be guessing that you arent at any increased risk tbh :hugs:

I forgot to ask, did they find a reason for the malfunctioning placenta? Until you know the reason, you won't know if it is likely to happen again.

Thanks everyone,

There not doing anything further on finding out why the placenta malfunctioned.

I am still unsure if the doctors are right as when my daughter was born she had the cord round her neck as well as all the muck in her throat and didn't breath for about 5 minutes. She was completely blue when they placed her on my stomach to cut thte cord. Every different dctor we see gives us a different explaination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->