Cervical Biopsy

SLCMommy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! :hi:

I got a call saying that I have an abnormal pap, and that I need a biopsy done.

I'm a little nervous. Was told it's a bit uncomfortable so to take some meds before I go in. It's scheduled for November.

If you have had a cervical biopsy done before, can you PLEASE tell me what goes on & if it really hurts? When I got my IUD, I read that it is very uncomfortable going in, but getting it taken out doesn't hurt. IMO, getting it put in was VERY painful, but when I had it taken out I hardly felt it, only one harsh cramp and it was done.

Your input on cervical biopsy's, please! :winkwink:

I'm keen to see any answers also- I have just been told that I have had mild dyskaryosis (CN1) Show on my smear and I have been called in to have a colposcopy- this morning I have been told I am being seen urgently due to me having 'symptoms' and strong family history- I'll be having a biopsy too- if I have mine before you, I'll let you know how it goes :)

I've had several done and they all pretty much went the same way between three different states, doctors, and health systems.

The use a larger speculum-type type thing so that they can get a really good look. IMO that's the most uncomfortable part. They squirt some iodine on your cervix which highlights the white spots (the abnormal areas). Doctor decides which white sopts he wants a biopsy of. Squirts some lidocaine or other topical anesthesia, has you turn your head and cough, you cough and he pinches a little bit off. I never felt it. My docs always took 2 or 3. Minimal bleeding. The apply something to stop the bleeding which can give you a funny discharge.

Also, my Wisconsin doctor let me watch everything on the tv monitor with him which I though was really awesome.

I can answer way more questions on lab results and follow up procedures. I just had a LEEP last year done to remove the bad cells after 5-6 years of abnormal paps and colps and my first normal pap results last month!!! :happydance:

I've had several done and they all pretty much went the same way between three different states, doctors, and health systems.

The use a larger speculum-type type thing so that they can get a really good look. IMO that's the most uncomfortable part. They squirt some iodine on your cervix which highlights the white spots (the abnormal areas). Doctor decides which white sopts he wants a biopsy of. Squirts some lidocaine or other topical anesthesia, has you turn your head and cough, you cough and he pinches a little bit off. I never felt it. My docs always took 2 or 3. Minimal bleeding. The apply something to stop the bleeding which can give you a funny discharge.

Also, my Wisconsin doctor let me watch everything on the tv monitor with him which I though was really awesome.

I can answer way more questions on lab results and follow up procedures. I just had a LEEP last year done to remove the bad cells after 5-6 years of abnormal paps and colps and my first normal pap results last month!!! :happydance:

You sound very brave when you write that. The thought of someone pitching off a piece of my cervix makes me want to cry. LOL!!! owww owww lololol. Did you take some pain meds before you went in?

No pain meds and really the topical anesthesia was enough so that I didn't feel anything at all. The super-sized speculum really was the worst part. That and the anxiety leading up to the first one not really knowing what to expect.

No pain meds and really the topical anesthesia was enough so that I didn't feel anything at all. The super-sized speculum really was the worst part. That and the anxiety leading up to the first one not really knowing what to expect.

Yeah, I think that's the worst part about it....not KNOWING. lol!

:hug: Don't worry too much over the lab results either. Most of the HPV strains are very very slow growing.

the year before i fell pregnant with junior i had abnormal cells and had 2 go for a biopsy
i was absolutely terrified thinking omg this is gonna be so sore ect i was shaking going in2 the hospital room. there was 2 nurses with me 1 stays at ur head 2 reasure u i told her i was terrified she held my hand and the other nurse assists the doc down the other end. ofcourse its not very nice some1 lookn up ur fofo ext but i will tell u this i felt like a total twat when they said ok i was like is that it.... ur done.... thats its finished ?? hand on my heart it was no where near as bad as i though all i had was some cramp after i came home had some pain killers and went 2 bed. i had to go back and get the cells burnt away and that was fine 2 it felt like if u run a cotton bud under hot water then pressed it on ur skin for a second. iv had 1 clear smear since and im going for 1 in 2 weeks
hun really i no how u feel but really try not worry its nowhere near as bad as u think it is
best of luck hope all go s well xxx

I got given an urgent referral so had my colpo on Friday- it was fine, they said they didn't need to take a biopsy and will check again in 6months- if the cells are there then they will remove them then.

The colpo was fine, I can't offer any advice re the biopsy now but it looks like you've had some good replies anyway :)

I guess it is different for everyone because when I got my cervical biopsy done it was VERY painful for me (not trying to scare you, but I'm just telling you the truth from my experience). It felt like it took forever and I had to have my fiance hold my hand the whole time and I wanted to cry. But maybe I tensed up down there 'cause I was soo nervous?!

That and the anxiety leading up to the first one not really knowing what to expect.

Well, I found out that I am pregnant :) So my doctor said he's not going to take any of my cervix but just keep an eye on the cells :)

they actually use a vinegar type mix to highlight the affected areas - and the biopsies aren't that bad.. I did however, have horrible cramps for like week.

& CONGRATS!

i just got the results for the smear i was ment 2 get when i was pregnant was well over due and i got a clear 1 so im well chuffed dont need 2 go back for a year
congrats on the baby news xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->