Cervical checks while TTC

lilmisscaviar

2 girls, 3 boys
Reaction score
Hi, ladies. I found this article and thought it would be useful to share, as many of the ladies on here are always asking about how to tell a pregnant cervix from a non-pregnant cervix. Hope someone finds this useful :thumbup:

Cervical checks are something that I always use whenever I can't figure out where I am at in my cycle if I have no start date. For example, after the birth of a baby or after coming off birth control. I would recommend cervical checking for a couple months prior to trying to conceive so you know kind of what you're feeling for. Your cervix changes throughout your cycle. Some women know they are pregnant before even taking a pregnancy test if they often track their cervical changes throughout their cycles.

First of all you need to find your cervix. Your cervix feels like... and I pardon the comparison but if you're trying to conceive nothing is really "too much information"... but it feels like the tip of a penis. It is like a little ball with a dimple in the middle. Obviously factors could make it change a bit, like if you've given birth before your cervix will change a bit, or if you've had an operation to your cervix like a D&C it'll feel more like a slit than a round dimple. Using the middle finger, which is the longest, is probably the best. Some women recommend putting a leg up on the toilet seat or tub.

Infertile cervix. During your infertile periods such as during your period, immediately after your period and post ovulation, your cervix will be hard and tilted to where it will be more difficult to find the opening. The opening will be closed. The cervix itself will feel firm, like the tip of your nose, and there will be little to no cervical mucus. If there is any cervical mucus it should be tacky, white and break apart easy when stretched between the fingers.

Cervix during ovulation. Ovulation is when your cervix will be at its highest and hardest to feel, though you should be able to feel the opening because the cervix will be more centered rather than against the vagina wall and should feel mushy to the touch. It will also feel very wet. When you pull out your finger, if you rub it against another finger and pull them apart, the cervical mucus should stretch between them. Cervical mucus should be mostly clear. The cervix will be open in that you can almost fit a finger into it (don't try it though!)

Cervix during early pregnancy. If you conceive, the cervix will rise up, though when this rise takes place is different for everyone and even every pregnancy. It could be only 48 hours after ovulation up to a month after ovulation. It won't be as high as it was at ovulation but it won't be as low as when it is in its infertile phase either. The cervix will get softer rather than firmer and will be closed. There won't be much cervical mucus in the beginning but it will increase throughout pregnancy once the mucus plug starts to form to protect the baby from infection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->