Cervical shortening monitoring?

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
Is/ has anyone else gone through this? I had my booking appointment a couple of days ago and have been referred to have this done since I had a 2nd tri loss and I went into preterm labour with my son at 30 weeks. I'll be getting a call soon I presume to go in at 16, 18 and 20 weeks.
Will I get to see baby at these appointments as well, or will they just scan my cervix? I'm not too concerned since I managed to carry my son until 39+6 but there is that part of me that is stressing about it. Hubby is too as before we met, he lost his daughter because his partners cervix was shortening and needed to be stitched but they didn't.
I've also had 2 abnormal paps in the past year and a half, so that also worries me. Has anyone else been through or is going through this that can offer some reassurance or advice?

Hi, I will be having weekly cervical monitoring as well as weekly progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks. Have they talked about giving you progesterone as that can help with preterm labor if that was the issue. I had my first DD at 37 weeks with no known issues. In my last pregnancy I was pregnant with twins and found out at 20 weeks that my cervix was completely effaced. I ended up losing that pregnancy at 21 weeks. This time my cervix will be monitored weekly and if it shortens past a certain point they will put a stitch in the same day. The type of ultrasound that you get and if you get to see baby each time will just depend on your doctor. The most accurate reading of your cervix will come from a transvaginal ultrasound (that is what my scans will be).

Agree with the previous poster- I too went into preterm labor with my son (due to infection, not incompetent cervix) but just in case I have been put on the weekly progesterone shots since week 16 and had transvaginal cervical length checks every 2 weeks since. For me personally, my ultrasound tech has always done a quick regular stomach scan to check on the baby and then went onto the transvaginal for the cervical length check.

I'm grateful for the extra scans and extra monitoring even if my last pre term experience wasn't due to an incompetent cervix :hugs:

I'll be having this same routine as well due to both my LOs being early.
I have internal ultrasounds to check cervix every 2 weeks as well as progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks.
My dr also advised me of the stitch if cervix would shorten too much.
I also wondered if I would get a glimpse of baby.
I'm a bit peeved because my anatomy scan isn't booked til 22 weeks per my dr.
I want to know the gender asap!
Plus would be nice to at least get a peak at baby since I'll be there anyway.

Klabro, I'm so sorry for your loss sweetheart xx
I have to wait until the first scan to see where to go from there. I was told if my cervix is too short or changes can be seen between the first and second scan, then they will start progesterone. The stitch is last resort. I just want to be prepared with all the information I can.
I honestly feel like its all for nothing. In saying that though I felt the same when I went into preterm labour. Contractions every 2 minutes with very high reading on the machines the midwives were surprised I wasn't crying out. I take comfort in the fact they are being cautious however I'm 90 percent sure the pre term labour was because I had food poisoning a week earlier which would probably have popped a small hole in my waters.
My main worry is the abnormal pap readings I've had. I was due for my next one around 8 weeks but I didn't feel comfortable with doing that. I just don't know how they would effect my cervix and I can't seem to find much information on it.
I really hope we can get at least a little look at bub as although I heard the heartbeat at my booking appointment, my over thinking gets away with me sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->