cervidil to soften cervix?

brittany12

Mommy x’s 2
Reaction score
I'll be given cervidil Monday morning to help soften my cervix before starting pitocin for the induction. Ive been 1cm for 3 weeks .. Advice? Success stories?

Cytotec much better but cervidil does the same ...wishing you the best brittany you deserve this!!Congrats!!

My induction was started with it, and it kick started me into labor pretty quickly. The contractions it caused were quick/intense, so I opted for an epidural after a couple hours of them. My body was nowhere near ready for going into labor by itself, so I was amazed how well Cervidil worked! I progressed until 8 CM, and then we all agreed on Pitocin to help finish the last two CMs.

I was told the type of contractions it caused usually didn't happen, so hopefully you can avoid them! I had a positive birth experience with starting off with Cervidil, and would do it again if needed. Good luck! :flower:

I was given a vaginal tablet for my induction but I have no idea which one it was. The tablet was a tampon type thing that could be removed. I do believe I was 1cm when the tablet went in at night and 3cm in the morning when it came out. In the morning they were able to break my waters and I was in active labor without pitocin.

Cervadil is like a tiny tampon which is placed close to your cervix. Mine was placed and I started having contractions fairly quickly. They felt cramp-y, not like a full stomach tightening. They were very close together, but in the beginning fairly tolerable, considering. I was 10%-15% effaced and a fingertip dilated when I got my first dose. My dose was left in for 24 hours at a time. The contractions would ease off with intensity after the first 12 hours of insertion. After the first dose, I was 1cm and softer. Second dose was inserted. Most cervadil inductions take several days and doses, though sometimes women go into labour from just cervadil, but the purpose is just to make the cervix favourable for induction. I had a total of 3 doses and a stretch and sweep over the course of 4 days. It brought me to 3cm, effaced and membranes bulging. I had one day before they were able to start my oxytocin and break my waters, between removing the last dose and my full induction. My actual induction went well, my cervix was very favorable and I dilated well and was able to have a normal vaginal delivery as a result of the cervadil. The entire process lasted 6 days. Good luck! (Ps. Cytotec is NOT the best choice for induction, though many women have good results. It can not be removed if you have an adverse reaction or over stimulation, and it is not meant for induction. Cervadil is comparatively very safe, and a great, well tested way to "ripen"a cervix!)

I was given a vaginal tablet for my induction but I have no idea which one it was. The tablet was a tampon type thing that could be removed. I do believe I was 1cm when the tablet went in at night and 3cm in the morning when it came out. In the morning they were able to break my waters and I was in active labor without pitocin.

If it had a little string and was a little white tablet/tampon, it was cervadil!

If it had a little string and was a little white tablet/tampon, it was cervadil!

Yup it had a string!

I did get a lot of cramping during the night but nothing that I couldn't manage. Those night time cramps were nothing compared to the contractions I started having after they broke my waters though lol. But it was all good...everything happened so fast. I had a very positive experience.

I was given cirvidil. The plan was 2 rounds of cirvidil, then pitocin, but I went into labor from the first round of cirvidil. It was intense (as soon as contractions started they were 1 1/2 minutes apart), but my labor was 10 hours for a first child. I think I would rather have that than a 20+ hour labor.

I was given a pessary and then cervadil. When my induction began I was 1cm dilated but I managed to labour without pitocin and naturally! :)

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to hear some stories that it worked!

Good luck! Just remember- Don't get discouraged if it takes several days or doses to do the work. I know I had a rough time waiting that long, but it paid off in a normal, healthy delivery!

I was given cervidil at noon on a Wednesday and had a second dose at midnight. My water broke thursday morning at 5am and by 9am I was 4cm and asked for my epidural. My contractions were hard to breathe through :/ my daughter was born at 6:41 pm after 40 mins of pushing. It was a good induction!! Getting it inserted is not comfortable at all though - just a warning!

thanks for that info! good to know!

is it like being checked for dilation? That to me is kind of painful.

I honestly didn't even feel mine going in (I had a 24 hour dose). But my sweep was the most painful thing ever! So I think it varies from woman to woman, just like everything else. :flower:

Mine just felt like a cervical check. They just put it beside the cervix, so it shouldn't be too uncomfortable unless you have a lot of cervical sensitivity or pain. You can't feel it when it is in and properly positioned.

I was able to breathe through the insertion...but it was ARM the next morning that made me yell! But it's true...it all varies. Having a sweep wasn't comfortable but it was a level below having the tablet inserted, which is a level below ARM for me.

No experience here with that ( both of mine we only used pitocin) but I just wanted to wish you the best today! Hope each stage goes smoothly for ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->