Cervidil

Erika_Whitney

Reaction score
I am currently 38+2, no dilation or effacement at all. My dr has set an induction date of 2-2-15 and said that I will start with cervidil the night before then on the 3rd I will start pitocin if needed. I am just curious- any STM's have any experience with cervidil? for some reason I have this thought it will be burning my cervix or something all night haha No clue why I think that, but I just thought I would ask for other ladies experiences. Thanks!!

No burning. It WILL be uncomfortable though. Cramping/ contractions. I was induced in dec with cervadil. Was not dilated at all or effaced. Dr placed it at 10 pm, and dd was born at 6 am the next morning. They didn't even need the pitocin. I've been induced with pitocin as well, and the cervadil was quicker, but much more intense. I contracted most of the night, but was able to sleep through them. Didn't get bad until 5am, but it was very intense for that last hour. No time for an epi. Went from 2-10 in about 40min.

I was 33wks pregnant with cervix highly unfavorable. 2cm long thick and closed

I had cervidil at 7pm and gave birth at 2:35am. They havemy official labour at less than an hour and 1 min of pushing. I loved that i skipped the entire pit induction. You can't feel it in there. But you'll feel the contractions it makes.

Although i spent the whole time convincing myself they were just Braxton Hicks only to have baby fly out in a mad rush with the doctors and midwifes completely unprepared

I had zero pain relief

Yup, I didn't feel any pain or feel it at all but I had my baby in 2 hours, going from 1cm to 10cm. It was very fast once it started. My legs shook badly after giving birth for half an hour. I couldn't control it! :) But it was a very good birth experience compared to my first.
Good luck!

I had cervidil given with my induction around 6pm. I was not dilated or anything before hand. Around 2 hours later I started having what they called a "fussy cervix"--irregular contractions and LOTS of back pain that lasted all night.

By 9am the next morning, there was still no sign of baby. The midwife broke my water for me, and started me on pictocin. As soon as the pictocin started my contractions started hard and heavy. After a night of intense back pain, I was done: I asked for an epidural. They gave it to me with immediate relief. I slowly dilated throughout the day. Around 5:30 or so that evening I was finally at 10cm and ready to push. Pushed for about an hour, and had my little boy without real complications around 6:30.

Agreed with the PPs, you don't feel the actual insertion at all but for me the contractions started almost immediately and came every minute and a half (or less) for 18 hours after (until my LO was born). They were not terribly painful for the first 12 hours but it was kind of exhausting to have so many contractions for so long without any real breaks between them.

I don't have a natural birth to compare it to but I managed on no pain relief until 7cm, and then I just had a bit of gas & air until pushing. So really not THAT bad. I imagine it's a bit more intense than natural labour but probably still better than Pitocin.

I was also able to go home after I had my insertion so that helped a lot! I've heard some places don't let you, but it's worth asking about.

I was just induced in Oct with this. Started cervadil at 11am on Tuesday, then pitocin at 3am the next day, had my daughter at 5pm, 30 hours later. Really, it was fine. I was 2cm and very thin when induced.

You hear so many horror stories on being induced. Mine as fine, I'd do it all over again. At the time I actually thought it was going very quickly, lol! The cervadil didnt do much for me but sure wasnt uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->