cervix question

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by ProudMum, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ProudMum

ProudMum Well-Known Member

how do you know if its an incompetent cervix if typically the cervix doesnt close properly externally after even one vaginal birth.
    Mine still feels open and when i mentioned it to the midwife was told that a cervix never fully closes anyway... if this is the case, nobody will take my concerns seriously. Thats been proven already :(

2. LuluBee

LuluBee Mummy to Alex

Sorry honey, I don't know where you live or your history. I had a risk factor for IC (had laser surgery to remove precancerous cells) but was told by my consultant that unless I had lost 2 babies in the second trimester they wouldn't take it seriously. I had to pay privately for my scans and consultations and then take htat back to my NHS consultant who eventually treated my IC. If you are worried i would pay for a private scan and consultation. I did a thread about my experience a while back.

3. ProudMum

ProudMum Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply.
    I spoke to my son's health visitor yesterday who was also trained as a midwife and she said normally things like IC don't just develop.
    I havent had any surgery on my cervix nor had any premeture births so my concerns would just been looked upon as "worry" without cause.
    I had my son at almost 42 weeks and as far as I know that all went ok... the scan on the cervix would cost £125 and with a consultation it would add up to around £275.
    I'm not really sure what to think to be honest but thank you for your reply.

4. CocoaOne

CocoaOne Well-Known Member

My friend recently had a baby and her midwife told her that it's perfectly normal for your cervix to remain 2cm open forever after your first baby.

5. ellahstruts

ellahstruts Well-Known Member

my experience is this, i had 4 large babies at term, 1 d and c and it has all left me with a IC. i had a shirodkar stitch put in with this pregnancy as my daughter was born prem and passed away in feb, IC can just happen, i never ever imagined after 4 full term births i would labour prematurely, i knew really last time when my plug came away in parts at about 14 weeks, scans this time at 12 weeks showed a cervical length of 2cm (normal is 3-5). just taking it quite easy alothugh not on bed rest, and praying i get to 24 weeks atleast this time x