Chances of a smooth transition into daycare?

jessmke

Reaction score
I go back to work when Isla is a year old and she will be going to daycare two afternoons a week. I feel like maybe I am being overly optimistic, but I really think the transition is going to be pretty smooth for her. We do play dates/groups usually twice a week with 5-6 other families, so there can be 10+ kids there (Isla is the youngest). She just loves being around all the other kids and has never seemed overwhelmed or anxious, she just gets right down into the thick of things with all the kids. Sometimes she will look around for me, but has never had any separation anxiety. Today we had a play date with a little boy who she had never met and we had never been to his house. His mother and I sat around the kitchen table and Isla happily followed the little boy into his playroom (where she couldn't see me) and played in there for almost an hour (I kept peeking in to check on her). Then this afternoon we went to see the daycare she will be attending and as soon as we walked in the door she was squirming to get out of my arms and just crawled over to the toys and kids and started playing. It is a small daycare and there will only be 6 other kids there (again she is the youngest). Do you think it will be harder/more stressful for her when she has to actually stay at daycare for the whole afternoon without me, or does it sound like she should make a fairly seamless transition? I know nap time will probably be hard the first few days, but I just feel really anxious at the thought of her crying and looking for me all afternoon. I am trying to make myself feel better by telling myself that she is social and won't be stressed at all, I just want other people to tell me it's true!

I think it totally depends on the child! My son (now five) went to nursery theee days a week from 11 months and always settled really well. We had a few tears every now and again but not often. He loved it and made amazing friends.

There were some kids who cried and cried and others like my son was hi were quite relaxed about the whole thing. From what you've explained it all seems like it will be fine! Of course there will Ben irritable days but you can always call up and check that things are ok. Naps are always disturbed as other kids are there but they adapt fine I think.

Good luck and don't worry!like I said my son loved it and he has so many nursery friends and I have a great group of mums who I'm friends with so it's a great period of their lives as well x

My LO went to daycare 3 x full days at 1yr old. She went in and never looked back! I think it's maybe an easier age? At 2.5 she went through a phase of crying and clinging to me even though she had been to the same day care for a year and a half and knew everyone there. They reassured me that as soon as I left she perked up and was fine.

It probably will be more stressful when she's left on her own and I would prepare yourself for some unsettled times as she adjusts, but it doesn't have to be traumatic. Separation anxiety is a healthy, normal developmental stage that all babies and toddlers should go through, so she will hopefully hit it at some point (as luck would have it, probably right as you start!), and that may make things more challenging. But if you spend time there with her getting comfortable with her surrounding and the people who will be caring for her, it will help her to settle in. We started when my daughter was 9 months, 2 mornings a week, and I'd say it took about 2 months before she didn't cry when I left her. She was mostly fine while I was away, but the initial shock of you leaving and also when you come back (oddly enough) can be really upsetting for them. As long as there is someone there to give her cuddles and comfort her if she is upset, then she'll soon settle in. We also found it disrupted sleep a little bit for the first couple months too, so you may see that as well. But it will pass and she'll make some lovely friends and it will all be fine. My daughter has been there 3 years now! She loves it and it's been such a great experience for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->