Chances of an early scan?

amytrisha

Mother of boys.
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I’m just wondering what my chances are of an early scan if I ring EPU.. I’ve had 3 losses but they’re not consecutive, the last being mid December which means this pregnancy has come straight after with no period in between, making it hard to date.
I’m obviously petrified and really need some reassurance. My midwife won’t contact me for booking in for another couple of weeks but if I ring EPU and explain (they saw me and dealt with my miscarriage last month) do you think they’d scan me to ease my mind and possibly give me a better idea on dates if it is a healthy pregnancy?
I guess I can only try but it’s worth asking for other people’s experiences as I know many do have early scans here.

Thanks x

Hello,

I have had previous losses and Molar pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant I went to my Doctor and he booked me in through EPU. You can ring them and explain, they are usually lovely and can also book you in. xx

I wasn’t sure if they’d see me because I’m not bleeding but they are definitely lovely so I am gonna give it a try. We don’t go through doctors during pregnancy we have to book straight in with the midwife, I’ve left her my number but I don’t think she’ll contact me til around 8 weeks. Thank you! Fingers crossed xx

Can you pay for a private one? I have very mixed feelings on this as obviously I understand how anxious you are, but at the same time your reassurance scan could mean a lady with bleeding would have to wait longer x

I agree, and I’d never of done it in the past but all of my losses have either been blighted ovum or missed miscarriage and my body doesn’t realise til I get further along and end up sat in a 12 week scan full of women with healthy scan photos to be told bad news.
If my baby isn’t there or doesn’t have a HB I really want a D&C asap so I would prefer to find out before the 12 week point, if that makes sense.
I understand where your coming from, but my question was how likely they’d be to see me as it really would be up to them whether it’d be worth fitting me in. Thanks. X

Well I guess only way to find out is to give them a phone and see what they say xx

You having a scan would never mean someone bleeding would have to wait longer as hospitals have more than one machine, and they will book you in, either in a same day slot if one is available or later in the week. Urgent cases are always prioritised and I think it’s quite nasty to say you may make someone wait as it just isn’t the case. They have urgent scanners available which would be completed by a doctor, generally the nurse practitioner uses another machine for routine scans. Plus the scan only take about fifteen minutes anyway.
You have a totally valid reason to want/need a scan and I’m sure they will see you even if you have to wait a couple days - good luck!

I've managed to get an early one the last 2 pregnancies. I have told the doctor I have had pains (which has been true ) and they have booked right away incase it's eptptic

You having a scan would never mean someone bleeding would have to wait longer as hospitals have more than one machine, and they will book you in, either in a same day slot if one is available or later in the week. Urgent cases are always prioritised and I think it’s quite nasty to say you may make someone wait as it just isn’t the case. They have urgent scanners available which would be completed by a doctor, generally the nurse practitioner uses another machine for routine scans. Plus the scan only take about fifteen minutes anyway.
You have a totally valid reason to want/need a scan and I’m sure they will see you even if you have to wait a couple days - good luck!

Thank you so much for this comment, I’m gonna ring them now and see what they say x

Fingers crossed for you- let us know how it goes

Keep in mind that right at 6 weeks could be a hit or miss if there’s a heartbeat yet. You could be a couple days behind and the heartbeat might not be there yet. So i wouldn’t rush anything until you know for sure. Especially if you didn’t have another period after your recent miscarriage.

Just to update you guys I went to the dr and she was absolutely lovely, said I have a completely legitimate reason for wanting some reassurance and that it’d be unfair to leave me with such anxiety for another month at least, so she did me a referral and I’m just awaiting a date.

Thanks again for all of the helpful kind advice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->