Chances of blighted ovum vs healthy pregnancy?

Calcifer

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

Humour me please on this depressing topic, I'm due my first scan at the end of the week and I'm really struggling to retain some common sense following a couple of losses. I was trying to figure out the odds of it being a healthy pregnancy at just over 7 weeks, if i make it to Friday without bleeding and cramping. Does anyone have any stats about how many of these turn out to be blighted ovums etc... versus healthy babies?

Thanks!!

Oh no, I had the same crazy talk going on in my head just before my 7 wk scan. I had to try and flip it around and say to myself it's out of my control nothing I do can change it. If it were to be any of those things I would be lucky that I was having a 7 wk scan. I would rather be told early and to have it sorted out instead of me thinking I was pregnant for longer and it wasn't viable. Some women sadly do not find out till the 12 wk scan as they have no idea sometimes.
Sometimes we know way to much due to the internet the percentages are probably slim. People only tend to post bad things that have happened to normally vent. The internet is filled with lots of negative stories about any subject which makes everything seems worse and very common. Sorry waffling on. Good luck everything will be fine x

this happened to me twice but the chances of everything being fine are way higher. i read that only 1% of miscarriages are missed misscarriages. Hope this helps x

sorry no advice as in the same place .. 1% sounds good to me though! I'm so terrified as had a MMC at 11weeks in october

sorry no advice as in the same place .. 1% sounds good to me though! I'm so terrified as had a MMC at 11weeks in october

I'm so sorry, mine was also a MMC in November...

this happened to me twice but the chances of everything being fine are way higher. i read that only 1% of miscarriages are missed misscarriages. Hope this helps x

Yes that's actually helpful!

Oh no, I had the same crazy talk going on in my head just before my 7 wk scan. I had to try and flip it around and say to myself it's out of my control nothing I do can change it. If it were to be any of those things I would be lucky that I was having a 7 wk scan. I would rather be told early and to have it sorted out instead of me thinking I was pregnant for longer and it wasn't viable. Some women sadly do not find out till the 12 wk scan as they have no idea sometimes.
Sometimes we know way to much due to the internet the percentages are probably slim. People only tend to post bad things that have happened to normally vent. The internet is filled with lots of negative stories about any subject which makes everything seems worse and very common. Sorry waffling on. Good luck everything will be fine x

Thanks! In Ireland it's cold comfort to find out early if there's still a heartbeat, even if it's 100% non viable, we have no options as termination is illegal... I had to carry my dying embryo around with me for over two weeks (super slow heartbeat, missed miscarriage) back in November so I'm a little traumatised this could happen again :nope:

But yeah, you're right about getting to the 7 week mark in the first place, it's a small milestone. I'm so glad it went well for you! :happydance:

Calcifer, Really?! I had no idea that was the law in Ireland. I'm so sorry you had to go through that :( The chances of a mmc, as above, are really a lot lower than it seems when you're on this forum. You see all the bad stories online but don't see the many many more that never feel the need to come and join a forum like this. I've also seen the stats before that mmc make up 1% of mc. I don't know the stats for blighted ovums but I would expect them to be very similar, if not included within the 1% mmc stats. If you've not got any bleeding then chances are really good for the pregnancy. I hope your first scan goes well!

Thanks! In Ireland it's cold comfort to find out early if there's still a heartbeat, even if it's 100% non viable, we have no options as termination is illegal... I had to carry my dying embryo around with me for over two weeks (super slow heartbeat, missed miscarriage) back in November so I'm a little traumatised this could happen again :nope:

But yeah, you're right about getting to the 7 week mark in the first place, it's a small milestone. I'm so glad it went well for you! :happydance:

i keep forgetting you are in ireland as well

I had no idea either that was the law. That must have been awful. Yes I can see why that would be very traumatic :hugs: I can not even imagine what you went through.
Thankfully I have never had it but got myself into a panic with both pregnancies as I Google way to much and convinced it would happen (health anxiety at its best!)
It was just my way of gaining mental control telling myself that. I remember reading if you have had it happen previously it does not mean it will happen again . Even though I still understand your worry x :hugs:

the law doesnt bother me as i would never do anything while there was a hb and when there is no heartbeat the law is not a problem.

It took them 9days to get me in for a D&C in the UK and that was with no heartbeat, I could have been seen earlier if i wanted to stay awake and have the procedure done under local anesthetic .. hmm no thanks!

Im trying to go with such a low percentage we would have to be really unlucky for it to happen again, also with already contributing to the percentage we have a better change of things going better this time! .. or atleast thats whats keeping me sane until 12weeks xx

i keep forgetting you are in ireland as well

Yes for stuff like this Ireland sucks balls... I was literally begging them for a solution, the heartbeat was under 70bpm and i was told by 3 different doctors that this was 100% unviable, but we had to wait... it was mental torture i nearly went demented... thank you, 8th amendment, thank you very much... took 2 weeks to stop, then i had an ERPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->