Chances of getting my hb after previous manual placenta renoval

mrsp14

Reaction score
Basically when I had dd the cord snapped and the placenta broke so I was taken to theatre and had it removed for me.

I mentioned at my booking in appointment that I'd like a home birth this time round and was told I wasn't allowed. Having thought about it more I think I want to really push for it.

What are the chances of it happening again? If first time mums are allowed home births then why should my birthing history stop me from having one?

Really I need to get the midwife to agree so that OH will agree. I have spoken to him about it and he said he'd think about it. He's a worrier though, he was extremely scared with dd and that was just when I was in labour!!

So ladies... Any facts, or anything you can throw at me to build my case would be gratefully accepted!!

First of all, theres no such thing as being "not allowed". You have the right to birth at home if thats what you decide on.

Secondly I assume they were using cord traction if the cord snapped? Was this a managed third stage? If so, allowing a physiological third stage may prevent a recurrence of that issue.

Hi, the cord snapped as dd was lifted out of the water to me, it was weak. Apparently very rare. However they then got me out of the pool and jabbed my leg so they did 'manage' the 3rd stage.... I still wonder if it was a short cord in which case IMO next time if caution is exercised there won't be the same problem. I think if they cut the cord (I'd prefer to let it pulse but am willing to compromise if it means no snapping) before lifting her to my arms we'll be ok. Also I never wanted a managed 3rd stage but was given the impression I had to last time, this time I won't be!!!

Worst case senario and you need help to have it removed again then being at hospital wouldent make much difference. It takes time to prep a theatre so that could be done while your transferring in.

Worst case senario and you need help to have it removed again then being at hospital wouldent make much difference. It takes time to prep a theatre so that could be done while your transferring in.

Good point... It's all a bit of blur from last time... It did feel like everything happened really quick but was probable 30-45 minutes before I was actually taken to theatre last time.

Thanks I didn't think if this one.

I don't know if you're on the Facebook group but the cord snapping is not actually an emergency. There are a couple of members who have had that happen and our inde Mw members can explain why. Also if you had a managed third stage ie the synto injection that's generally administered in hospital births, then retained placenta is a much higher risk than not having the injection which is generally what home birthers tend to do if everything looks ok loss wise. They use it in hospital to speed the process up to free mws up quicker. It can be very helpful if a mum does bleed a bit more than you'd like but you can take a wait and see approach and it be just as effective. :) you're much less likely to retain a placenta with a physiological 3rd stage, either at home or in hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->