Changing childs surname by deed poll

xprincessx

Mum to 5 beauties <3
Reaction score
My son has a double barrelled surname (his dad's and mine) and I am in the process of changing his name by deed poll so that he just has his dads surname.

I know that once the paperwork comes through I will have to send it off to the relevant companies/people etc but when it comes to things in the future do I have to inform them of his original surname that is on his birth certificate or do I just use the name from deed poll?

e.g. when he goes to primary school or registers at a new dentist etc or gets a passport?

I know nothing about it but from what ive heard its a lengthy or difficult process. Hope somebody can shed some light for you x

can you not just drop the use of your part, so that it becomes like a middle name?

It's not that difficult at all tbh, I changed mine and DS's surnames by deed poll. For most purposes you don't need to say he had a different name.

I don't really get what you mean?

Callum already has 2 middle names and my surname is at the end of his name so that wouldn't work anyway...

I have already applied for it to be done so just wondered if I'd ever have to tell people in future that his surname was once different as I know deed poll overrides birth certificate name.

If you need to get him a passport or anything that needs full documentation they iwll need both birth cert and deed poll, I can't think of much else that would apply to though. Mostly you just need his actual current name :flow:

I was told when we registered my daughter that if we were ever to get married or anything I could go back and re register and drop my name from hers xx

I think for most things you can just use his 'new' name. For really important documents like passports ect , they usually ask if you've ever been known by another name.

Can you re-register the birth certificate? We re-registered DS after we got married, but then they got his birthday wrong so we need to re-do again!!!

I re registered my own birth just a couple of years back, but I think the rules in scotland are different. It cost around £40

I changed james surname to his dad's by deed poll 3 years ago. Ive only had to use the original birth certificate to change the passport. Ita beem easy to change and ive yet to encounter any difficulties x

Most of the time, you just use your current legal name. But sometimes (rarely) people will ask for your previous name, e.g. passport applications, credit checks, DBS checks.

But for dentist, schools, and so on, just tell them your son's current name, that's all they'll want to know.

Can you re-register the birth certificate? We re-registered DS after we got married, but then they got his birthday wrong so we need to re-do again!!!

You can correct mistakes on birth certificates. They just annotate the birth certificate with the corrected information.

thanks everyone, callum is now officially a "hill", really easy and quick process!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->