• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Changing diet to help reflux

Sarah125

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with cutting things out of their diet to help their baby's reflux?

I think Sophie has silent reflux as she has pretty much all the symptoms of it but isn't actually vomiting. Well not often.

I'm going to take her to doctors tomorrow but would like to avoid her being medicated if I can help it.

She's only been screaming in pain etc the last few days. She was fine all the rest of the week. She's had days like it on and off from when she was born which makes me think it might be something in my diet.

It's helped my LO to cut acidic and inflammatory foods from my diet, in addition to the foods she's intolerant to (dairy, soy, gluten, peanuts, eggs). Her pediatrician told me that caffeine really aggravates reflux. I cut that out and the one or two times I've had even a little bit since I can really tell that she's hurting. Good luck! Reflux can be so stressful!

PS Mine doesn't actual vomit either, just regurgitates halfway (up into her esophagus).

My little girl has silent reflux and I've cut out dairy and soy. I already ate gluten-free for my own health. She is on Zantac, too- but it took at least a month of giving it to her before she stopped spitting it all out. I think cutting out dairy and soy helped somewhat. I can't wait till she outgrows the reflux, though. I miss cheese and butter so much!

Thank you. I will try cutting out dairy and see if it helps.

Can I ask what you tend to eat if you can't have dairy? Snack wise I eat a lot of cheese, chocolate and yoghurts. I suppose fruit?

Hope your LOs outgrow it soon. It's a horrible thing!

We're right in the middle of an awful flareup (my daughter is almost 4 mos so it may be peaking) and it's just absolutely stressful and is sometimes a nightmare to BF but I'm really committed to continuing! I eat almonds for snack and gluten free toast with earth balance (there's a soy free, dairy free version that you can get at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage). I also like Daiya brand fake cheese. I make nachos with those--not bad! Fruit is good for snacking, too. I won't lie--it's been tough for me to find enough variety and enough to eat.

Thank you. I will try cutting out dairy and see if it helps.

Can I ask what you tend to eat if you can't have dairy? Snack wise I eat a lot of cheese, chocolate and yoghurts. I suppose fruit?

Hope your LOs outgrow it soon. It's a horrible thing!

There are loads of dairy substitutes out there. If they aren't sold in mainstream shops and supermarkets in your area, google 'alternative stores' they are a shop/website based in Newcastle upon Tyne, they are a vegan shop but sell dairy free cheeses, desserts, milk substitutes etc. they also sell a wide range of dairy free chocolates. Larger Tesco stores do an extensive own brand dairy free range including soya free products as well. Ocado sell coyo yoghurt which is pricey but delicious, it is based entirely on coconut milk and soya free. Nearly all dairy substitute 'milks' and many of the dairy free 'yoghurts' have b12 and calcium added xx

I love coconut or almond milk ice cream- they are expensive, though. I still eat chocolate- I get the Lindt 90% one and there's no dairy in it. If you're used to regular chocolate it would be a tough transition. For snacks, I like gluten-free granola, carrot sticks, apple chips, pepperoni, and some lovely scones my husband bakes every weekend made of almond flour.

Oh, also- if you cut out dairy, remember that it will take several weeks to see full results.

My daughter had silent reflux.....tried cutting dairy first. Did it for a month with no change, so then I did a TED and no change. However, many women report improvements so it is worth a shot. It was hard changing my diet at the time but worth knowing for sure if what I was eating was effecting her.

We ended up putting her on medication- we were able to wean her off of it at 10months.

keep in mind if you are cutting dairy that it needs to be ALL dairy, so not just the obvious cheese/milk/choc/yogurt/ice cream etc, but ANYthing thst has milk solids in it, this is heaps of different packaged/processed foods so start reading ingredient lists. and it can take 2-3weeks of NO dairy at all to start seeing a difference, if its dairy thats causing it though, it will make a massive difference

I love coconut or almond milk ice cream- they are expensive, though. I still eat chocolate- I get the Lindt 90% one and there's no dairy in it. If you're used to regular chocolate it would be a tough transition. For snacks, I like gluten-free granola, carrot sticks, apple chips, pepperoni, and some lovely scones my husband bakes every weekend made of almond flour.

Oh, also- if you cut out dairy, remember that it will take several weeks to see full results.

In the UK we have quite a few vegan 'milk' chocolate brands they usually use rice milk and the chocolate is harder in texture than regular milk chocolate but taste is very similar xx

keep in mind if you are cutting dairy that it needs to be ALL dairy, so not just the obvious cheese/milk/choc/yogurt/ice cream etc, but ANYthing thst has milk solids in it, this is heaps of different packaged/processed foods so start reading ingredient lists. and it can take 2-3weeks of NO dairy at all to start seeing a difference, if its dairy thats causing it though, it will make a massive difference

In the UK all hidden dairy has to be pointed out in allergy information even if it is only a minor ingredient or isn't even in the product directly but other items on the production line may have contained it and thus contaminated other products :flower: xx

I found for Mia, I needed to cut out pop, tomato products, and caffeine. Cutting Dairy didn't do anything for her.

It took a month for me after cutting out dairy. But the change was worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->