Changing schools 6 weeks in - reception

MrsBop

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
My DD is due to start school full time on the 19th September (she'll have had 3 full days previous dotted around to get her used to it apparently :wacko:) anyhow we're hopefully moving (just waiting to see if we're successfull) before school starts however we're unsure which school we'll want them to attend (I have a DS who is 8) permanently so wanting to look round a couple before getting the wheels in motion to have them moved. It will take an hour to get to DS's current school so plan on taking him for the first half term with the view to starting his new one November, he will cope with this and is excited to be moving however DD I'm unsure what to do, part of me thinks she'll adapt to both situations and then another part of me thinks I should cancel her starting September and then have her starting the new school November. What's everyone's thoughts either way? DH is useless and said I have to do what I think is best, she's my baby though and I'd hate for her to be sad :(

Edit to add - she's 4 (5 in April)

Personally I would not send her to school until after you have moved and got places at a new school. It can take ages for children to settle in reception and moving schools after 6 weeks would be really disruptive. Could you not look around a few schools in your new area at the beginning of September and try to get her a place before November?

I would send her. Children adapt of as parents we don't put pressures on them. I know that both of mine would of settled in at the first school and then resettled in the new school.

My DS is 4 and he has just recently been through a simular situation
he had started Nursery school where we previously lived and was
due to move up to reception class with in that school in september.
However we ended up moving in June and so we gradually stopped
sending him to that nursery and as the classes were due to break up
for the summer we told him it was time to move to a new bigger school

When we arrived at our new home there were still 3 an 1/2 weeks left
of school so we went to see the local school and see if he had a place
there and they said he could start in september.
we wanted him to have a few taster days, but they said that wasnt
possible but had i been to the nursery to see if they had space that way
he could meet some friends he would be moving up with for the last 3
weeks of term.

My DS took to the change well but equally when he found out some of the
children in the nursery were not due to progress to big school this year
he was saddened slightly.

I guess it depends on the individual child, does your DD take to change well?​

My DD switched schools about 3 weeks after she first started. She adapted fine to it.

I think it depends on the child I know DD1 would not handle it very well as she's not looking forward to starting school anyway and is not ver confident ( I know she would eventually adapt but it would be very upsetting for her)
My friends dd is only 10 weeks younger then my DD1 but with her personality it prob wouldn't phase her that much.
Only you will know how much of an impact it will have on your child

I have twins who are a year behind your LO - personally I wouldn't I would just defer and try and find a school ASAP and get her in within the first few weeks of term. I 'think' most reception starters have a phase in like yoi mention anyway don't they so if you get your skates on you could sort her within a week or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->