Changing surname

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
Random question but how do you go about changing your last name when you're married? Does it sort of automatically change or is there extra documents and stuff? What about your passport and driving liscense etc.? Or if you want to doubl-barrel or keep your own name? How does it all work? xx

I may be wrong here but I thought your marriage certificate was your proof of NAme change, then the rest is all form filling lol xx

You have to apply for new drivers licence and passport then I guess you would have to visit your bank to change your cards. You will sign the register at the wedding and that is your official name change :) xx

As far as I'm aware, the marriage certificate is proof of your surname change. But you will need to change/notify passport, driving license, bank etc.. I know for your passport they require you to send an original marriage certificate and not a photocopy so it might be worth getting several certificates.

Everything you have that is documented (bills/bank accounts/drivers license/passport) etc needs to be done by form filling, the marriage certificate is just proof of your name change.

You might want to get a copy of your marriage certificate because every Tom dick and Harry will want to see it.

It's mainly free to change your name, the only thing that cost was my passport (which I haven't actually done yet :dohh:)

Just to add, when you sign the register you don't sign in your new name you sign in your own name because the unromantic part of the certificate is actually your consent to a pre-contractual agreement. (Registrars words not mine)

Just to add, when you sign the register you don't sign in your new name you sign in your own name because the unromantic part of the certificate is actually your consent to a pre-contractual agreement. (Registrars words not mine)

Thank god for that lol! I've been worrying about making a new signature lol! I'm not ready to let my old one go yet :rofl: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->