Changing the name to honour family. Would you do it?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
Would you change the name you've chosen in order to honour a family member who may not be around for very much longer?

It's my grandfather. I was their only granddaughter for 18 years before my youngest cousin was born. My daughter was almost born on his birthday (born the day before), but has my grandmother's name as her middle name, which is what my (now ex) husband chose (I chose Anberlin Olivia Blaire, he chose Anberlin Maria Kate, Maria being after my grandmother. I was always the only grandchild invited over for sleepovers.

My grandfather never had any sons to carry on the family name. Over the last year, he's gotten very sick and we're not sure how long he'll be here for, so this baby may be the last great-grandchild he ever gets to meet.

I had chosen Kesler Gabriel Silas and Gabriel Elliott Reid, to be determined at birth based on what he looks like, but I'm now exploring other options. I like Levi Rowan James too, but considering Levi Rowan Manuel, Manuel after my grandfather (pronounced Man-Well).

If it is meaningful to you to name him after your grandfather then go for it. I doubt I'd ever name a baby after someone because to me it has no significance.

I think it's be a lovely gesture if you're close to your grandfather. Plus it's a second middle name, so it's going to be mainly on paper anyway, so I'd do it just to make him happy.

In case you go for one of your original names: Are you aware that Elliot Reid is the name of the dizzy female doctor in Scrubs?

Yes I would, particularly if you are close to him. I think it's a lovely gesture, and one I'm sure you will be pleased you made in the future xx

Yeah, in this situation I would but as long as I was happy with it.

I would do it. My little boy is going to have my family name as his middle name as a 'nod' to my family. I'm very close to them so I don't see why my family name shouldn't be there somewhere, and I'm not the end of the family line.

Kesler is a cool name, love that! I would most likely only use my grandfather's name IF I loved it. If you love Manuel, I say use it.

Kesler Manuel James?

I sort of prefer the idea of grandma & grandpa's names being in the same spot (like both the 1st middle name - if that makes sense).

Did your grandfather have a middle name you like, or maybe his surname (if it's diff from your own) - or even a name that symbolically honors him - rather than Manuel?

I love names that mean something so I would.
We are using Eliza or Annie for a girl as my nan (currently battling cancer and kidney failure) and great grandma (90 next month!) chose the name and I love it
For a boy we love Max and Charlie but my great grandma has said she would love us to use Charles William as it was her grandads name so we are edging more onwards Charlie now.

If u dislike a name you shouldn't use it but if you like it and it has family connections go for it x

If it means something and you're happy to do it then I'd go for it. My sons middle name is my great grandfathers name xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->