Charlie's Birth Story

terri21

Mother of 2
Reaction score
On Wednesday 1st September 2010 at 7:30am after no sleep the night before I arrived at the hospital and made my way to ward 32 feeling absolutley terrified! All the excitement and positive emotions just drained from my body as I walked through the hospital doors, I was so scared.

I was shown to a bay at the end of the corridoor and shown to my bed, I was seen by a midwife who went through a checklist with me and gave my some gowns to change into, I was told that there was only 2 people on the list that day and that i shouldnt be waiting too long.

I sat with my OH and my mum and we were chatting, I felt so sick, I was then seen by a consultant and the aneasthetist who both asked me various questions. I was expecting my consultant to do the section but she hadnt arrived so I assumed that she must have got called somewhere else.

I got changed into my gowns and got the things out of my bag that i would need for baby to get changed into while i was in recovery. Once I had got changed, my consultant came to see me and she said she would be doing the section which i was over the moon about, it was nice to know that she would be there, a familliar face and it was comforting to know that after looking after me through my previous pregnancy and looking after me all the way through this pregnancy that she would be the one to bring my baby into the world. She also agreed that my mum would be allowed in theatre with me and my OH which was so nice as she was also there for Harry's birth.

Everything went so quick, the other lady on the list for a section had already delivered her baby so I was the only one for that day and at 8.15am I made my way down to theatre, I was taken into a room and asked further questions by the aneasthetic nurse whilst my OH and mum went off to get changed. OH came into theatre with me but my mum had to wait until i had my spinal block.

I was sitting on the edge of the operating table with my feet up on a chair, crouched over a pillow. The aneasthetist put a canular into my hand for my drip and incase of the need for a blood transfusion. It hurt so much. I have a big phobia of injections so i was very scared for the spinal.

The aneasthetist then started putting the spinal in, she first numbed the area with an injection that really stung (ouch) and then she attempted to put the spinal in. She put the spinal injection into the wrong place and hit a nerve which really hurt, it was worse than contractions, it was a pain that i never ever want to feel again it hurt so much. I then started to cry as I was so scared, I didnt want anything to go wrong :( . The then had a 2nd attempt and she missed it again and once again i felt that pain. I was so upset and scared, my OH was there constantly re-assuring me that everything was going to be alright and the midwife was assuring me that i was doing really well, I was crying and trying to stay very still at the same time.

My legs started to feel warm and the block started to kick in so they turned me around and lay me down on the table. They started preparing everything. I was still crying and turned to my OH and I just said, "What if something goes wrong? What if something happens?" I was so so scared. I lay there waiting for the operation to start. My mum came into the room and she sat beside my OH. I was holding his hand and i was very scared :cry:

My consultant was getting washed a prepared for the operation, i could see her behind my OH. I was feeling increasingly sick and was been given anti sickness medication through my drip and medication to keep my blood pressure up. The aneasthetist was constantly asking how i was feeling and if i was ok, I felt so tired and sick and all i wanted to do was go to sleep i was so scared and just wanted to hear my baby cry.

My consultant then came over to me and asked how i was and she said "come on lets get this show on the road" it was then that i thought omg in about 5 minutes i am going to be a mammy again.

I lay there and it seemed like forever and ever but then there it was.... at 9:20am the most amazing sound i have ever heard in my life, she lifted up my baby and showed him to me, i didnt even look at him properly because i couldnt see for the tears, it is the most amazing moment of my life and I will never forget it, my heart just beamed! They cleaned him down a little bit wrapped him up and then passed him to my OH and that was just the best thing to see, my OH holding Charlie, looking so comfortable and immediately bonding with him.

Charlie was then passed to me and put onto mychest, only for a few minutes though as i couldnt hold him. I had been given too much aneasthetic and i was numb to my fingers and i felt weak and couldnt hold him. The sickness was still there too. I was so proud, i was just staring at my OH and charlie it was amazing to see that he was actually here, he was breathing, alive and he was my baby, i have never ever felt that feeling that i felt when he first cried it was truly amazing and i cant even describe how i felt. My mum had a hold of him too and she looked like the proudest grandma ever.

His big brother Harry has looked over us and kept us both safe throughout the pregnancy and I am sure he will be so proud of his little brother, me and OH :kiss:

Name: Charlie Smith
DOB: 01.09.10
Time: 9:20am
Weight: 7lb 11oz
Length: 20.5 Inches
Head Circumference: 36cm

Attachments

• 01 09.33am.jpg
    01 09.33am.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 21
congrats!!!! on your little boy:happydance:happydance:

:hugs:Congratulations on the birth of Charlie and floaty kisses to Harry. :kiss:

Beautifully written Terri.

I am so happy for you, your OH and big Brother Harry.

Charlie is so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing his birth story

x x

congrats, and welcome to the world Charlie

congrats on the birth of Charlie, you little rainbow baby. I can't imagine how scary it must of been until you hear him scream his little lungs out. :hugs: I'm sure Harry is so happy to watch over his family and now his little brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->