Cheese

D

dawny690

What cheese is safe during pregnancy im in my 1st trimester at the moment x

Any pasterurised cheese....usual hard cheeses like Cheddar, Leicester etc are all fine to eat as are Philadelphia etc...the ones to avoid are unpasteurised ones like brie, Camembert and blue ones like Stilton etc

This is what I keep referring to:

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:
Austrian smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, feta, Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Manchego, Orkney, paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses:
Boursin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, goat's cheese without a white rind, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, processed cheese (such as cheese spread), Quark, ricotta.

Yoghurts (all varieties), probiotic drinks, fromage frais, soured cream and crème fraîche - any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active - are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses:
Brie, Blue Brie, Cambozola, Camembert, Chaumes, chèvre (goats cheese with a white rind), Pont L'Eveque, Taleggio, Vacherin-Fribourgeois

Blue-veined cheeses:
Bergader, Bleu d'Auvergne, Blue Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, Roncal, Roquefort, Stilton, tomme, Wensleydale (blue).

Soft, unpasteurised cheese, including goat and sheep's cheeses:
Chabichou, Pyramide, Torta del Cesar.

The one I'm not sure about is feta. This site says it's okay, but others say no. I've been avoiding it, but I'm going to ask my doctor. I love feta! And I keep having to skip yummy salads because of it!

I'm not sure about Gruyere - I know its a very hard cheese but over here in Switzerland it is made with raw (i.e. unpasteurised) milk. I am certainally avoiding all cheeses made with raw milk so this has unfortunately been eliminated.
Its my favourite too!

The one I'm not sure about is feta. This site says it's okay, but others say no. I've been avoiding it, but I'm going to ask my doctor. I love feta! And I keep having to skip yummy salads because of it!

If you check, most Feta is pasturised.....or at least it seems to be in the UK, so I would guess it would be the same in the US.

xxx

Feta is fine,I have been eating it alright :)
Just check its pasteurised.
I am off to Italy next week and will be able to have cannolis with ricotta!!!
I have wanted them for months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->