Child support question USA

HeatherLTBee

Baker Family
Reaction score
Okay..
So my husband has been paying child support since the very month he and I met...

It's been over 5 years...

She now has 2 more kids and we are expecting our first..

If my husband would take her back after the baby is born, will they take our new child into consideration???

I don't want to take from my step daughter, but then again, her mother makes more than us and we buy her a TON of stuff...

I don't want her to suffer, but why should my child have any less than her???

It sounds selfish, but I don't mean it that way at all. :shrug:

From my understanding- as we get child support for my hubbies daughter from his ex (as we have her full time and she get's 2 visitations per month)- it has nothing to do with anyone but the biological parents involved and their child. So they look at fathers income vs. mothers income and the time they spend with the child. If you guys are going above and beyond what is layed out in the divorce agreement and set child suport- then that is your call. But child support itself is specifically to help supplement the child (home/food/clothes etc) while they are in the care of the main care provider.

Hope that all made sense- I'm sure it can vary per state (so there might be some guidelines you can find online). You can certainly put in to have child support re-evaluated, but that may not work out in your favor if hubby makes more now than he did when it was first evaluated. But if his ex makes more now- that would factor in also, as well as the amount of time she has child compared to him.

For our situation and state laws- child support will continue till our daughter is 18 OR if she continues school and goes to college, it would continue till she graduates. My hubbies ex does make more than he does- and we also have his daughter 80% (usually more like 90% though).

They don't take you having another baby into consideration. Only time that applies is if you can prove his child support would be an undue hardship ( meaning its so much money he can't support himself)

It goes off his income and how much each of them have the child . Child support is considered the right of the child to be supported by both parents .

Thanks ladies..

I just keep running into yes and no answers everywhere

Like I said, I honestly know it's ONLY FAIR to pay child support and I would never take that away from her.... I could imagine if the tables were turned and I was relying on it..

I just think there are a lot of women out there who are very sensitive to the whole issue...

Reading the "who do you think you are?" and "Excuse me??" answers really piss me off..

I just want my child to have just as much as her... Although my poor step daughter will never know what it's like to have both parents at home... Ugh.. So sad :(

Just do what makes sense all around-- obviously you want your SD to be provided for, as she is just as much a part of OH as your LO together. But overall- kids just need to be loved. That is what they remember. My parents didn't have a lot when I was young- I didn't get all the fancy toys or clothes like some of my friends did- but I always had support and love. Period. And that is what I hold close to my heart and what I remember MOST from my childhood-- not the stuff, although I'm sure that was nice when it happened lol. That is not what made me who I am. And even though I can provide "more" for my kids-- we still want them to have good values and work ethic. But, they will always know we are their biggest fans :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->