Childcare concerns during hospital stay...

Alovelikexo

Reaction score
My daughter hasn't been the easiest, she's just turned 4 and I've only just got her off bottles, dry sleeping through the night.

I'm terrified that during my Atleast 4 day stay in hospital due to preterm induction and strep b positive complications, she's going to fall into bad habits at lenient Nanny's house.

Is it bad I've written out a few expectations, along with issues I have and how I find easiest to deal with them and asked she could keep to routine as much as possible?

Is there anything else u would suggest I do to prepare for this time away from home? She's such a smart smart girl I have spoken to her also about her behaviour, and how being at Nanny's is the same as being at home although it's different and that her behaviour is not to change. I know it will change, I just hope not much. I hope all my hard work and consistency isn't wasted. I haven't been the "mean mum" for the last 6 months for it all to go to pot.

I wish I could just keep her with me! 🙈

I do not think there is anything wrong with that. I am concerned about my youngest. I have a 10 year old, a 7 year old and a 2 year old. I know the older two will be fine but my youngest is really attached to me and i think he is going to have a hard time being away for more than one night. He has been way more clingy than normal and started waking up at night which is something he hasn't done for at least a year. I''m sure your daughter will be fine and not get too off track as long as her Nanny is willing to play tough too. Good luck!!

I think that's a great idea for the list actually! I hadn't thought of that, but I think I will do it with my daughter who will be three when the baby is born. This will be my first time away from my daughter over night. It's a bit stressful! Hopefully your daughter's grandmother will follow your list :)

I've made up a few quick lists for my MIL as well, even though she's really good at watching DS. Basically just our morning routine (because if that gets screwed up, his whole day is shot! Even something as small as OH being home for the morning when he's usually gone throws off the whole day!), I've also made a list of what to pack in his lunch (he's a BIG eater, and while MIL knows this, she always feeds him small portions, and then is amazed that he wants more :dohh: ) Other than that, I'm leaving it up to her. It's going to be a treat for him to stay with his Grandma and Grandpa while we're busy having the baby. Of course, she also knows all of our rules and expectations, and does her best to follow them. At he same time, she's Grandma, and the whole point of their relationship is that she's not me. He'll get treats, and he'll likely get away with a later bedtime, and not having to follow the rules 100%.

Is there any possible way that your DD's Nanny can come and stay at your place, instead of your DD going there? That might help enforce some of the rules that you've put in place. It'll be easier to follow the expectations at your place where she's used to them.

You might find that she behaves better for someone who isn't you. My son is a perfect angel around my parents and then he comes home and defies my every wish! :lol:

The reason they do this is just that they're more sure of their parents as they know you'll always be there, but as grandparents are a sometimes thing they don't have the same level of surety and are more likely to behave. If nanny is sure of the ground rules and will follow them then I think there's not much to worry about.

I made a couple lists for the family who will be watching my two year old son. I'm sure they won't follow them exactly, but it will only be a few nights, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. It's so hard to think a out leaving them for any period of time! But they will be fine and be glad when you are home with them again!

I thought about writing all the routines down etc, then I realised that our routine us going to be in complete disarray once the baby is here anyway, that he'll be eating lots of sweet foods, going to bed late, sitting in front of the TV etc (all the things I hate) for a bit so I am just leaving granny to it and we'll see what happens. I would rather he was excited and happy there than feeling even more anxious than he will without us anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->