Childhood obesity in America

Lol its nice to see I'm not the only one who uses the kiddie menu!:) Either that or I ask for a take out box with my order and pack up half the meal before taking a bite.

In the US, portion size in restaurants is out of control! That's part of the problem, unfortunately:( What appears to be "one meal" is actually 2 or 3 servings.

This is the truth! Never thought about ordering from the kiddie menu before; good idea! :thumbup:

I seen a show called Maury where the parents fed the children so much food they where actually dying. One was on an oxygen tank, more food than even I would eat in a week went in to one toddler. That was the girl who has damaged legs and was eventually taken off her mum. She lost the weight but suffers forever from it. This really disturbes me.

That is sick :nope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVJeHmHVEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0kr1QLjD0
this girl Jessica look at her now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNATWsVVwgo

I really do think allowing your child to become obese is bordering on abuse. I dont mean a bit of puppy fat i mean kids like DF posted. They are killing their children :(

Good old Maury Povich, ratings whore :haha:

Still, that is sick and so sad. And I'll dare to say it, gross.

I agree it's child abuse. Although I do think to a small extend we need to accept people's differences, my husband and his family have a skinny gene and whatever they eat they stay skinny, where as my weight is a constant battle.

However I get really upset by the amount of fat kids, firstly knowing they will be bullied, secondly knowing if they start life this way then there while life will be a battle, then thinking of things they can't do, sports or activities they can't enjoy, how their health suffers now and in the future.

It's not being cruel to limit the amount if junk kids get and mostly the inactivity or levels. Fat inactive families breed fat inactive children, the whole families need it change.

Have you seen what some of these kids are allowed to eat in a day? proper heart attack stuff.

I wouldnt limit food I would increase activities and provide good foods at the same time. Treats are fine. Some people eat treats as meals constantly.

I don't know if I'd label child-hood obesity abuse, but it certainly seems like neglect. They're neglecting their child's health for convenience, eating convenience foods instead cooking anything. They neglect to teach their children constructive ways to deal with emotions, instead turning to overeating. They teach overindulgence instead of moderation. It's very sad that it seems generational, the parent was neglected in the same way and now is teaching their child an unhealthy lifestyle.

Okay, I grew up in California. My mom cooked all our meals (with the odd exception) from scratch. She made sure we had veggies and went outside to play.

It's the video game/computer generation with not enough outside time and exercise. It's easier after a day of work to sit your kids down in front of the TV than go outside and PLAY with them! No wonder kids are snacking and obese!

I have to say, the food/water in Scotland is 1000000x better than that in the USA. I feel healthier living here. We get outside (when it's not baltic!) and we run around. :)

I don't know if I'd label child-hood obesity abuse, but it certainly seems like neglect. They're neglecting their child's health for convenience, eating convenience foods instead cooking anything. They neglect to teach their children constructive ways to deal with emotions, instead turning to overeating. They teach overindulgence instead of moderation. It's very sad that it seems generational, the parent was neglected in the same way and now is teaching their child an unhealthy lifestyle.

Idk, with obesity, there are very likely effects such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, much higher risk of diabetes, higher links to certain cancers, increased risk of heart attack (due to higher cholesterol) and stroke. While the cancers, heart attacks and strokes generally do not happen in children, a very high percentage of obese children grow up to be obese adults (70%). Because of these negative health aspects, obese people tend to have a lifespan that is 6-7 years shorter than non-obese people. To allow something to happen to your child's body which absolutely will cause some of these side effects, including early death, could be labeled as physical abuse.

Then there is the emotional side: obese kids face a lot of social discrimination from their peers (being called the fat kid, not being picked for recess games, etc), which can, and probably does, lead to lower self esteem. Not being able to keep up in sports or be winded after a very short run is probably humiliating, which adds to the lower self-worth. Being teased because of physical limitations (not keeping up, etc) can make a kid feel isolated from his peers, lonely - feel not accepted by other kids.

If a child is suffering these psychological effects due to the physical effects caused by obesity, then I would venture to call that emotional abuse.

I'm pretty sure the parents aren't saying, "I'm going to abuse my kid by letting them get grossly fat, mwahahahaha", but yeah, it is a neglectful circumstance, like you said. Just one that has dire consequences.

230lb 5yr old?! How is a 5 yr old only a few lbs shy of my power lifter ex who was all bulging muscle and 6'3"?!

Sorry, but that is abuse.

230lb 5yr old?! How is a 5 yr old only a few lbs shy of my power lifter ex who was all bulging muscle and 6'3"?!

Over 16 stone? Seriously that child needs to be taken into care, an adult would be obsese at 16 stone. That child will be at risk of major problem, and soon if not already.

Over 16 stone? Seriously that child needs to be taken into care, an adult would be obsese at 16 stone. That child will be at risk of major problem, and soon if not already.

I don't think taking the child away is a sensible idea.
I think stepping in and helping the entire family understand food and healthy eating/excersize.

I agree Lauren, sometimes it's simply a lack of education.

xo

But 16 stone 5 year old? I mean, as a nurse I am aware of lack of education but even the most Uneducated must realise that's not right. I mean how much must that child eat to maintain that?

The stain on that child's heart must be immense! I do think that child is a lac case personally, I've had dealings with much less serious situations, I'm not saying take the child away forever, but they need on the at risk list, that is child abuse, that child could die and soon.

But 16 stone 5 year old? I mean, as a nurse I am aware of lack of education but even the most Uneducated must realise that's not right. I mean how much must that child eat to maintain that?

The stain on that child's heart must be immense! I do think that child is a lac case personally, I've had dealings with much less serious situations, I'm not saying take the child away forever, but they need on the at risk list, that is child abuse, that child could die and soon.

Unfortunately those worries don't cross everyones minds and when a family is overweight, eating big meals and happy, its difficult for them to make a change.

Unfortunately those worries don't cross everyones minds and when a family is overweight, eating big meals and happy, its difficult for them to make a change.

I 100% agree with that and at no point do I think an over weight child should be in care, I'd even say with an obese child then education is a better option, but thus child is morbidly obese and doesn't have the time to deal with all issues to do with over eating, it needs death with now, seriously wk during how long that child can live.

I'm over weight, so I get it, I know what I shouldn't be eating and snacking on, but it's a habit, and habits take time and willingness to change that that child doesn't have that time.

I mean an adult would be big to e 16 stone, u can't imagine how bad that child's life must be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->