Children born to older mothers have a better start in life???

rhdr9193..x

Oliver's mummy :D
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...der-women-better-start-life-claims-study.html

Just read this article,and I couldn't really believe it! Talk about brushing young mums with the same brush!

I may be a young mum at 19, 18 when he was born,but my son is my whole life.i don't live in a council house.we claim only the benefits that parents are entitled to,(CB and CTC), my OH works hard to support us and I'm going back to university in September! Some articles like this really make me angry.being a young mother is not bad!!! X

Don't listen to the Daily Fail. It doesn't know what it's talking about. I'm pretty sure they hire a bunch of illiterate monkeys to write their articles.

If you don't fit in the stereotype don't be offended by the stereotype! :) x

The daily mail is full of crap. Don't listen to it. I know older mothers who are 10 times worse than any young mum I know and in fact the mums amongst my friends are some of the best mums I know and dote on their children more than some of the older ones I know. It pisses me off too but we know it's not true so just ignore it xx

You would think if its worth writing an article for there would be more than a few % difference. The difference is not exactly monumental.

Good for you for no fitting it but reality is the younger you are, usually it is harder. That is usually and some older people don't have it together and some young moms are better than I'll ever be. But truth be told everyone usually figures it out eventually. If I had become a
Mom at 18, almost ten years ago, I wouldn't be as good as I am today. Usually, and I say usually, people's priorities change as they get older.

There are ALWAYS going to be studies and generalizations... especially when it comes to parenting. End result though, a good parent is a good parent. Regardless of age or any other factors. And so what if some stat says this or that... there are always exceptions to pretty much any rule.

I'm an "older" Mom (gosh that doesn't even sound right. I am 38 though)- and I LOVE that I had my daughter when I did- I wouldn't have it any other way. But there are plenty of AMAZING Mom's of all ages who love their LO's just as much!

:thumbup:

What an absolute load of bollocks!

Have these "researchers" got nothing better to do than spend 2 years studying how we bring up our kids? Honestly! And these people are getting paid to write this crap? I think I'm in the wrong job...

It's all a load of tosh...

I'm an 'older' mum too but I have mummy friends ranging from 18-40 and each and everyone of them are good. All my younger friends are great mums!
I guess in any age group there's going to be some good and some not so good mums..

Arghh articles like this drive me mad!

It isn't age that determines if we are a 'good' mum. A mum can be just as 'good' at 40 as they can at 16. Good mums come in all shapes, sizes and ages :)

Crap!!! So when u become older your priorities change? Hmmm I though my priorities would change anyway that's what happens when you have au baby no matter what age you are im 22 and think im a great age for a baby have my own house and my oh has an amazing job love my life :)

You can be a good mum no matter what age :)

What an absolute load of bollocks!

Have these "researchers" got nothing better to do than spend 2 years studying how we bring up our kids? Honestly! And these people are getting paid to write this crap? I think I'm in the wrong job...

They don't do any research at all and they are natural bullcrappers. My mum once told me she spoke to a journ who worked for them who claimed her baby slept 23 hours a day.

:dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

sweetie, the clue is in the paper name - daily mail! Urghh that paper! Take everything it prints with a pinch of salt, every other day there is something new that causes cancer.... probably oxygen :dohh:

I had my son at 21, I'm married (since 19), live in a lovely house, we are only entitled to child benefit. I have my degree but will stay at home when mat leave finishes. How I see it is that having my son now whilst I'm "in my prime" lol gives me the energy to run around after him and I will spend longer having the joy of him in my life.. rather than waiting 10-15 years. It's unfair to say someone in their 20's is more likely of an accident, if anything a fit 20 yr old is more capable of running around after a toddler. I think more than mentality of the person attributes to this study, which unfortunately, most 20yr olds probably aren't in our position.

We have time to make our careers, i'd rather start a career later and see my children as babies than have a job which I had to go back for and miss out on all the important things.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I didn't even read the article. I am more referring to teens. If you've seen teen mom on MTV it's pretty clear not all young moms have it together. But I doubt anyone like that is on here because just the fact that you joined a site to get support and advice means you want what's bet for your kids and you're a good mom!

Strangely enough a study from last year had the opposite findings for some of the criteria. https://adc.bmj.com/content/96/Suppl_1/A59.2.abstract Also, the considered outcomes don't have a clear relationship with "well being". For example, a decrease in the risk of accidents could also mean an over-protected helicopter parent who doesn't allow their child to take any risks, or a decrease in vaccination take-up could mean a parent who doesn't just blindly accept what they are told but does their own research and chooses to protect their child in the way they believe is best. It seems like a fairly weak study.

I'm sure most older moms are done with collge, and some have good careers. But im 22 and EXHAUSTED taking care of him all day. I could not imagine doing it at 30+.
When I had haiden we made sure before trying for him my husband had a good job. He was making 1,200 a week (currently at a different job, but we are doing just fine) we own our own nice 3bed 2 bath home and both own our cars.

I'm classified as an older mum and I am doing just fine getting up to feed during the night and doing what i need yo during the day. I dont seem to be any more tired than my younger friends. I really don't think age has anything to do with if you are going to be a great parent or not. It is more to do with your upbringing and experiences and besides the difference in their " study" was not huge and not worth mentioning.

ive heard the opposite

Omg, don't know if I have just been missing you but this is the first I've seen you. Your twins are sooooooo precious!!!!! Omg

I'm 23 and not offended by the article. Older parents often have things more "together", they've finished their degrees, established careers, bought houses, built savings, etc. Do you have to do these things to be a good parent? Of course not! And as a PP said, the statistical differences are very small, so it seems like the article is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->