• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

choking on spit up.....terrified :'(

TwinMommy6

Reaction score
So my baby boy is 8 weeks old tmrw. Each feeding he will eat 4 oz. Sometimes he spits up sometimes he doesn't. I always burp him usually every oz or oz and a half. Two times now he has spit up and started to choke on it. His face goes bright red and he clearly isn't breathing. I sit him upright leaning him forward while hitting his back. Both times I have been lucky to have dh home and he grabs the baby and within seconds he is ok and breathing. During these times I am hysterical I panic and I am terrified that this will happen when he is not home and I won't be able to help him in time. It happened lastnight and I just bawled my eyes out afterwards. Today I am home by myself with him and every little noise or cough brings tears to my eyes I am so scared. I can't get over this anxiety that he is going to choke. Is it possible for a baby to choke on his spitup while awake and stop breathing or will me patting his back always help him???

Any advice would be so appreciated!!!!

Hi,

im not sure 100% sure as i don't have any experience but i read somewhere they babies can't choke on their sick as they have an inbuilt mechanism to get it all out. I know sometimes there might be an issue with this so maybe speak to your doctor? Im sorry if this is really vague just didn't want to read and run. Hope you're ok xxx

My son had reflux so I was always worried about him choking as he would always spit up while lying flat on his back but the docter reassured me that babies are very good at getting it out and they wont breath it in. If u are worried about it try holding lo up for 20mins after feed and prop one end of cot up so they are not lying completely flat, but try not to panic I know its hard!

I was scared off this too as it took her a few seconds to breathe again after.

It sounds awful but what helped me was a held off picking her up for a few seconds and every time she cleared it herself. Obviously I didn't leave her ages, but it helped me realise she can sort it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->