CHOKING -what to do?

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
A bit of a morbid post I know but its something thats starting to unnecessarily worry me, hoping to follow BLW but nervous about proper choking. I know that the gag/cough reflex is really strong in babies and not to panic they will get the food back up but I honestly am not sure what the proper first aid for a child chkling is and want to be prepared before I get to involved in the weaning process.

Matthew has taken really well to BLW and soft foods (trying to get his weight up first) and has had a go at rusk, melon, cucumber, brocoli and cauliflower :happydance: which he's gummed and sooked, tonight he took a 'bite' from the brocoli and a good bit went in his mouth. Must admit I totally paniked and fished it out :blush: as it dawned on me that if he genuinly choked would I do him more harm trying to help him by doing something wrong.

Is this just normal mummy woes, if I knew how to handle this situation I know id feel 100percent better x

:hugs: im the same, jacob had a tiny lump in his food and seemed to gag, but i saw it as choking and completely panicked.
i worry about it all the time.

Babies have excellent gag reflexes. Hannah's only properly choked on food once and that time I used my finger as a hook, stuck it in her mouth and scooped out the food.

You will notice a lot of gagging as babies get used to new tastes and textures, it can be worrying but is completely normal :hugs:

I thought for sure Elyse was choking once but sooner than I could get her out of her high chair she had launched it out of her mouth at me :lol:

If you are really concerned and can't get the worries out of your mind, I would recommend taking a first aid course, they have ones geared toward people working with children/new parents/childcare providers, etc. and if you can get your mummy friends together you could even get a private lesson! They'd cover choking, burns, bee stings, cuts, and maybe even infant CPR if the course included it. :)

I went to a first aid course (which I recommend) but first I'd tap on the back lightly to check it can be got up quite easily. If that doesn't work you have to lay baby over knees and with palm of hand hit (quite hard) on the back. It is actually worrying how hard you do have to smack the back and when doing it to the dolls you wonder how much it will hurt but then weigh it up...

So im not giving medical advice here just passing on what we were taught. You should ask HV about a course ours did them free just basic stuff and helpful!

thank you all, i feel much better already will def look into first aid. Fossey that info very useful i had a rough idea but wanted to be sure x

I panic about this too... All I know is that you shouldn't put your finger in LO's mouth to get food out if they are choking as you can push it further back (unless you can see it and grab it easily) you lay them on their tummy across your arm at a downwards angle, and give them 5 back slaps, if that doesn't work then you put them on their backs and give 5 chest thrusts with two fingers along the breastbone. If unsuccessful phone ambulance but keep doing first aid until they get there.
The HV should have a leaflet that they can give you with all the correct procedures on there, so it may be worth chasing that up :) X

that's really good info :) Luckily I could see the food in Hannah's mouth the one time she choked but next time I'm going to use the method described above as it sounds much much safer (mine was a knee-jerk reaction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->