Choosing a homebirth with SPD

Lunaty

Reaction score
I knew I had developing SPD with my son but it never got to the point I needed any medicated attention thankfully..

However second time around ive been having some awful SPD pains since 18 weeks pregnant (probably sooner)..
Im seeing my Chiropractor 1-2 a week and some nights i have to take 2 panadol in the hope it will ease off some of the pain but it gets to the point where im sometimes unable to move and specially at night I can not help but gasp and let out a yelp when making any movement

Whilst ive read up that SPD is better handled via a homebirth since you wont be forced to open your legs wide and let gravity help with alternative positions (considering the pubic bone is already more movable should make it slightly easier ) Im still slightly worried about the pain factor..

Are there any SPD mummies out there who have done this before and can compare it to a hospital birth or at least give me an idea how much worse it will feel? I do know that labor will probably completely consume me and will make me forget I have the SPD but sitting here tonight with this pain makes me slightly anxious.. :dohh:

Rachiebaby had a home birth with SPD - I'll point her here. :)

Hey there! I had quite bad SPD with Remi. It started from around 14 weeks and I was on crutches from around 24 weeks. I worried too about the SPD but honestly, I didn't notice the SPD pain during labour AT ALL. The only time I noticed it was when I tried certain positions and for a while I couldn't get comfortable but that can happen during labour anyway. SPD is supposed to help the second stage of labour as your pelvis is already loose and I was pushing for the whole of 3 minutes! I can honestly say that it didn't affect my labour at all. I had a pool which I thought would help ( my SPD used to ease a little in the bath) but strangely I had no desire to get in it!

One thing I will add is that although it was a lesser pain, the SPD stuck around for about two weeks so hold on to your support belt and have some painkillers at the ready x

I feel for you though as getting out of bed was excruciating! And at one point I was sleeping on my recliner chair at night. I found sleeping with lots of pillows better than laying flat but it was still painful. SPD is actually a reason in putting me off having anymore children as it was so bad. Oh and I had SPD with my first, although I put it down to pregnancy as I had no idea what SPF was, but had it late. I had a hospital birth in which I laid on my side with my legs closed the whole time (my choice) and it was no more or less painful than my home birth x

I had SPD with my first child, and he was born in hospital. It was quite bad & I ended up spendiong my last 10 weeks on crutches. Funnily enough, it hasn't been too bad this time round, only the past few days its affected me.

I was told I wouldn't be able to give birth without an epidural. As it happened, he was so quick I had to do it without an epidural anyways, I was too far progressed to have one. So I did it without. I didn't actually notice the pain of SPD while I was in labour or giving birth, it didn't bother me, and after he was born I felt relief from it almost instantly.

I don't know if it's the same for everyone though.

I would imagine being at home with it to be a lot more comfortable, especially if you have a pool. It was suggested to me to have a water birth with Seth but it never appealed to me, and there wasn't one available when I went in anyway. At least at home you know you could def have a pool if you wanted one.

xxx

Thanks guys!

That somewhat of a relief.. I did end up trying to research it online and ended up with a few similar comments but nothing much.. just a whole lot of 'I cant do this anymore', 'im getting induced early' and other horrid stories.

I mean I do sometimes get very ver it but in the long run it will be soo worth it I just need to hold on that bit longer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->