Choroid Plexus Cyst 20 wk scan

Blonde_uk

Reaction score
Well I'm back. :-(((

In the first trimester screen I had an increased risk for Trisomy 18 and opted for the non-invasive pre-natal blood test which tests free DNA in your blood. That came back negative and I have had 4 weeks of feeling like you should when pregnant. Happy, healthy and growing a nice bump. Yesterday I had the 20 week scan, I always new it was a possibility something could be wrong as my doctor told me the blood test is not diagnostic but I really hoped this would be the last of it. However, it's not and they saw a cyst on the brain. In normal circumstances I don't think they worry too much about these but with my history it all leads back to Trisomy 18 again. I am seeing the doctor this afternoon but I'm sure she will suggest amnio. I am so scared to have one as what if I end up miscarrying a healthy baby? This is just such a horrible time I just can't believe it!

Any advice on amnio procedure and any similar stories good or bad will help.

Thanks all

Hi, I'm sorry you've had more worrying news to deal with :hugs:

CP cysts are fairly common and if they haven't found any other markers or abnormalities at your scan, that sounds really positive. I know the Verifi test isn't 100%, but it does have a very high detection rate.

I really struggled when deciding whether to have the amnio, because of the risk of miscarriage. In the end I couldn't handle the not knowing, so decided to go ahead. The actual procedure was fine. It didn't hurt and only lasted a minute or two.

Don't feel pushed into doing anything you don't feel happy about though. You can always take some time to think about it.

How did you get on with seeing the dr this afternoon?

Hi, I'm sorry you've had more worrying news to deal with :hugs:

CP cysts are fairly common and if they haven't found any other markers or abnormalities at your scan, that sounds really positive. I know the Verifi test isn't 100%, but it does have a very high detection rate.

I really struggled when deciding whether to have the amnio, because of the risk of miscarriage. In the end I couldn't handle the not knowing, so decided to go ahead. The actual procedure was fine. It didn't hurt and only lasted a minute or two.

Don't feel pushed into doing anything you don't feel happy about though. You can always take some time to think about it.

How did you get on with seeing the dr this afternoon?

Hi Wildflower,

Thanks so much for the hugs! :hugs: you back!

After seeing the doctor I came home, ate, spoke to my mum and went to bed after not sleeping Monday night at all.

I do feel reassured after speaking to the doctor because she was really caring. She said usually they would tell a woman not to worry if the baby has a CPC because as you say, they are really common. She said the positive with us is that there were no other markers and apparently 90% of edwards babies have a heart defect on the 20 week scan. She did say because of my history an amnio might be a good option just to totally rule it out as the scan doesn't always catch everything. I've really thought about it and I think i'm going to have one. Like you, I just can't not know, it's such a heartbreaking disease I feel like I'll be anxious and scared for the rest of the pregnancy. Sometimes I think that's selfish as I'm thinking of myself but actually stress is proven to also affect the baby. It will also guide me on the right path, whether its the path I want or not.

How long ago was it that you said goodbye to your little :angel:? I can only imagine a piece of you dies that day too. :hugs:

I'm glad your feeling a little better after your meeting with the dr. I totally understand about having the amnio and why you need to know. Please don't feel its a selfish choice to make :hugs:

Did they tell you how long you'd have to wait for the results once you've had the test? I had mine back the next morning, but I'm not sure if she rushed them through a bit. I forgot to mention, don't panic if you start to get some cramping pains for a few days after the amnio, it's normal. Mine went off after a few days.

I'm still really hopeful that everything will be ok for you. It's very common in cases of edwards for there to be heart, kidney and skeleton abnormalities and the majority of these would be picked up at the 20 week scan. We had quite a few different markers for edwards and our lg also had a problem with her esophagus where it hadn't connected to her stomach, so it was always a high chance that we'd get bad news.

It was august when we said goodbye to our :angel: It was so hard and so heartbreaking and I do miss her everyday. We're lucky enough to have her big sister to keep us busy and keep us going.

If you feel up to posting please let me know how your getting on. I'm really wishing for a happy ending for you x

I'm glad your feeling a little better after your meeting with the dr. I totally understand about having the amnio and why you need to know. Please don't feel its a selfish choice to make :hugs:

Did they tell you how long you'd have to wait for the results once you've had the test? I had mine back the next morning, but I'm not sure if she rushed them through a bit. I forgot to mention, don't panic if you start to get some cramping pains for a few days after the amnio, it's normal. Mine went off after a few days.

I'm still really hopeful that everything will be ok for you. It's very common in cases of edwards for there to be heart, kidney and skeleton abnormalities and the majority of these would be picked up at the 20 week scan. We had quite a few different markers for edwards and our lg also had a problem with her esophagus where it hadn't connected to her stomach, so it was always a high chance that we'd get bad news.

It was august when we said goodbye to our :angel: It was so hard and so heartbreaking and I do miss her everyday. We're lucky enough to have her big sister to keep us busy and keep us going.

If you feel up to posting please let me know how your getting on. I'm really wishing for a happy ending for you x

Thank you! I'm glad you are able to keep busy and active with your little girl. I'm sure that does help take your mind off it just because you are so busy with toddlers! I hope you have time to grieve as well.

Well yesterday I had the amnio, they quickly got me in so I can't complain one bit about my care. It was really quick and pretty painless. Yesterday I was on bed rest afterwards and today I've not done much either as when I do I get cramps. I know that's ok so I'm not worrying too much and just relaxing for the rest of the weekend. We've opted for the quick results initially then get the final results in 10 days or so. I am hoping the quick results will come by Monday as the doctor said 48 hours but we've obviously go to exclude the weekend.

I'm really hoping for a positive outcome so I can move on and enjoy the pregnancy. With a negative Verifi test we would be really really unlucky for the amnio to be positive but I guess these things happen so it is best to be prepared.

I'll keep you informed of the results! :hugs:

My daughter had this in our 20 week scan. The scan was done at 22 weeks. The dr who did the scan said it's very common and normally nothing to worry about as they are a part of brain development. Other ladies say that they were told that when there aren't any other markers then it doesn't mean anything.

I hope you get answers soon :hugs:

My daughter had this in our 20 week scan. The scan was done at 22 weeks. The dr who did the scan said it's very common and normally nothing to worry about as they are a part of brain development. Other ladies say that they were told that when there aren't any other markers then it doesn't mean anything.

I hope you get answers soon :hugs:

Yes, I was told they are very common and to be honest if it weren't for my first trimester screen results I wouldn't have done anything. It was just a shock last week as it all links back to trisomy 18. I'm hoping it's just a nasty coincidence! Fingers crossed I get the preliminary results today or tomorrow.

Preliminary FISH test shows no chromosomal abnormalities which I'm so happy about! We'll get the full screen back later next week but I'm positive things will be normal. We've now had a negative verifi and FISH from amnio so 2 out of 3 tests have been normal. I just wish the CPC had never been seen and I wouldn't have had to go through this but it is what it is.

Hopefully this is it now, although my papp a was very low which is how the risk of trisomy 18 came about but I will start to have extra growth scans at 28 weeks due to potential IUGR and other problems it can be associated with. I feel happy knowing I will get extra scans and they will be monitoring me closely.

Hi Blonde, that's wonderful news! - I'm so happy for you. Really hope the rest of your pregnancy has no more problems for you to deal with x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->