Christmas traditions

DanielleM

Reaction score
What are your family Christmas traditions?

What have you brought forward from your childhood?

What would you like to begin this year?

Our Christmas Eve tradition (that we started last year!) is a visit to Burghley House to see the deer and beef wellington for dinner! I guess everything else we do is just the usual really!

Our annual pick our tree trip (explore field, cut down best tree (normally the first ones we see :dohh:), pub lunch, home to decorate it) is one of our favourite family tradition. We might however due furniture/radiator/fire issue have to get a fake tree this year :cry:

A big thing for us that we have bought forward from our childhoods is the opening of presents after lunch. I think we are actually quite lucky that we both come from backgrounds with this tradition. Only children get their (very large) stocking from Santa in the morning.

I'm thinking about getting a reusable advent calendar this year and filling it myself but struggling to find one I love and come up with enough ideas to fill it.

Not very exciting but..

I like to be at home xmas eve and morning (since having kids)

Using pillowcases as stockings as we did as kids

watching certain movies -- home alone, babe, what a wonderful life

Now I have children we stay at home for Christmas Day, before that I was always at my parents and OH at his (been together 15 years, lived together 9)

Most of our traditions I have bought to our house such as afternoon presents (instead of a small stocking). Main presents from Father Christmas are downstairs, presents from mummy and daddy in a sack left outside their door. Oh insists on scrabbled egg and salmon that his mum always did.
Boxing Day we go to my parents stay over then go to OH the day after, once that is done home for a good sort out, my fave part.

Edit
On Christmas Eve we always make sausage rolls to snack on during the evening. Something my Nan always does even now at 86 :)

Our annual pick our tree trip (explore field, cut down best tree (normally the first ones we see :dohh:), pub lunch, home to decorate it) is one of our favourite family tradition. We might however due furniture/radiator/fire issue have to get a fake tree this year :cry:

A big thing for us that we have bought forward from our childhoods is the opening of presents after lunch. I think we are actually quite lucky that we both come from backgrounds with this tradition. Only children get their (very large) stocking from Santa in the morning.

I'm thinking about getting a reusable advent calendar this year and filling it myself but struggling to find one I love and come up with enough ideas to fill it.

This sounds great fun!
Re advent calendars, I got one a few years back with little boxes and the only thing that fits the blooming thing are little chocolate balls (usually Christmas puddings).
I've seen fabric ones with pockets you can hang on doors, may look into those and squeeze a little toy egg/blind bag in. Not this year though.

We stay at home on Christmas Eve. Late afternoon we start putting reindeer food outside and then just before bed Holly leaves out a mince pie and milk for Santa.

We usually try to watch a Christmas film together too :xmas6:

not to make this about advent calendars but we have a Phoenix trading one (reindeers) that is reuseable and comes out each year -- they have a few i think

Our traditions when I was growing up were mostly centred around family (going to my dad's side of the family's place on Christmas Eve and then my mom's side of the family's place on Christmas Day). A lot of those family members are gone now and I don't live in my hometown anymore anyway so those are all gone. I do still have a big book of Christmas stories that we used to read every Christmas Eve so I try to do that with my LO now too. I also have had the same advent calendar since I was born!

My DH's only real tradition was opening up one gift on Christmas Eve which were always PJs so we've adopted that (and I'll be making a full Christmas Eve box this year).

Over the last couple of years we've been going out on Christmas Eve to look at all of the light displays and we've really enjoyed it so I think we'll try to make a tradition out of it.

And of course a lot of movies I watch every year leading up to Christmas. I don't have one that I specifically watch on Christmas Day but we try to watch one before we all go to bed.

I started making biscuits to leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve with DS1 when he was 1. Last year DS2 helped too. We rarely bake (as I'm not very creative or much of a baker) so that's a nice one for us :)

Christmas Eve bag has become another one along with our elf and a panto visit at the start of December.

Last year we scraped the stress of buying gifts for the sake of it. We did the

'something to read' (this can be a book, poem....anything)

Something to smile at

Something useful

It made xmas day so much more fun and meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->