Chutney and jam? Recipes :

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
Wasnt sure whether to post this in the christmas bit or in here really...

Im thinking of doing hampers for people at christmas this year as we're a bit skint and I was going to put i n some chutney or jam in jars.

First question - how long do they keep? Do I need to make them a couple of days before, or do they last a while?

Second question - does anyone have any tried and tested recipes? Ive looked online but Im not really a chutney fan so I wont know if theyll taste right.

xxx

Are you planning on canning? Jams and chutneys will keep indef if water or steam bath canned. And, it's a great process to "clear out your mind" a bit...I do this for the holidays as well, and we also make our own bramble cordial and pear wine for gifts. If you're not going to steam can, there are some recipes that just require refrigeration after opening, but they need to be utilized in 2-3 weeks time.

oooh linzi! I wanted to make some homemade jams too!!!! I know Rachel Allen has a fab recipe for jam and one for chutney. been googling it but I think it's only in her book, which you have to buy :( she has ideas how to make them look nice as presents too. It's called Rachel's Favourite Food at home x x

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of just putting them in glass jars... never heard of canning before... how would I go about this?

xxx

Hi Linze...canning is a wonderful way to preserve most things...there is the water/steam bath method as I mentioned, and there is the pressure method for high acidic things like tomatoes, meats and veges. I usually just go the water bath route because I mostly make jams, jellys and fruit butters (like pear and apple).

Basically, you have these items to "can" or preserve:
glass jars
metal lids
metal rings to go over lids
tongs
large, deep, stock pot (like a lobster pot)
rack to keep jars stabilized in pot.

A canner usually costs about $20.00 (US) and comes complete with the rack and lid.

Here is a site that I found about canning in Australia, to include recipes.
https://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=marmalade

Can't find much about canning in the UK, though, online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->