Cinnamon, nutmeg, what age?

Wugz22

Reaction score
I've been having fun making my own baby food. LO pretty much refuses the store bought kind! I think it's too smooth for him… I've made his pretty lumpy from the start. He's 7 months now, and I'd love to spice up his applesauce with a little cinnamon, or maybe some cumin in his squash… is this fine at his age?

I was reading about this as we plan to make our own baby food too :D

Wholesome baby food website said

"When Can I Add Herbs and Spices to Baby's Food?
A majority of pediatricians will recommend waiting until an infant is 8 months or older to introduce spices and herbs. This recommendation often has more to do with staving off digestive upsets than it does with possible allergic reactions. If your baby is doing well with foods and does not seem to have any digestive upsets, then jump right in with spices! Like any other new food, please follow the "4 day wait rule" when introducing spices and herbs. As always, please discuss the introduction and use of herbs and spices with your baby's pediatrician."

Thanks! I'm determined to make an adventurous eater, although he still turns up his nose at anything green. I'm thinking I'll try boiling his green beans in some delicious broth next time… or maybe with some bacon the way his mommy likes them :)

Mmmmm sounds yummy! Can't wait until my little guy is old enough for real food heh

Perfectly fine. We've used all sorts of spices from the start (6 months). Only thing she doesn't like so far is chillies, but she did eat a very spicy samosa the other day. Also, ignore all that garbage about introducing only one thing at a time. It's completely unnecessary. Unless you have a history of food allergies in your immediate family, your baby can eat pretty much what you do (minus salt, sugar, whole nuts and honey) right from the start, including all sorts of combinations of new foods.

We've used herbs and spices in dd's food since 6 months and no probs. She just eats what we eat so if its in for us she has it too.

It's fine!

Here in UK there is a baby porridge on the market that's very popular, it's marketed as a first food and suitable from 4 months. It has cinnamon in it. My eldest had it as her first food and loved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->