CIO is harmful?

hopeandpray

Reaction score
did anybody hear the research from Penelope Leach? she says that leaving babies to cry causes them stress and if they're left for over 30min it can cause a build up of stress chemicals that are bad for their brains?
i don't know what to make of this. i know that babies do experience loss of brain cells due to stress but being a baby is naturally stressful anyway
sorry for all the question marks i just don't want it to appear that i am stating her claims as fact, does anyone know if other doctors have researched this?

Why dont you do a google search to see if anyone has performed such studies.

sorry, should i not have posted this? i just thought that some of you here say that you don't do this and thought you might have already done some research, i have tried look for information but it generally seems to come from sites which are biased

well its one of those topics that can get out of hand as people disgree about it. There are areas of research on it yes but I havent never looked into it as its not a method I would use anyway.

I think there's a post in baby club? maybe regarding this with a link.....

Apparently there has been a few newspaper reports that talk about this lately.
I haven't read any reports myself, so have no idea what the basis is/was for this or how they drew up this conclusion, but It's not something I'll choose to do. However, that is purely personal preference and just how I am. It's not to say that others are wrong, as I know a lot of people that have tried it (often on the Health Visitor's advice) and they say their lo's now sleep through.
I'm too much of a wimp!! George is picked up as soon as he cries...I couldn't handle 2 mins, let alone 30!!

And personally, I don't see much wrong in your post?? It's good to question these things - we're all different, with different lo's ;)

Personally I don't need to see research showing its bad for their brains..

I've cried my self to sleep as an adult, its horrible and I know whats going on, I have a horrible nights sleep and wake up in the morning with a massive headache from the pressure the additional crying has put on my brain.

Why would I need a study to show that my baby would have the same physilogical reaction to crying themselves to sleep? and why would I ever want to put them through that?

Each to their own and all but its not something I would ever use.

Personally I don't need to see research showing its bad for their brains..

I've cried my self to sleep as an adult, its horrible and I know whats going on, I have a horrible nights sleep and wake up in the morning with a massive headache from the pressure the additional crying has put on my brain.

Why would I need a study to show that my baby would have the same physilogical reaction to crying themselves to sleep? and why would I ever want to put them through that?

Each to their own and all but its not something I would ever use.

I agree with that. Whether or not it's damaging long term isn't the issue for me. I feel like it's damaging in the short term, both for Leyla's happiness and my own and for our relationship. That's enough for me :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->