citalopram

lily24

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been prescribed this?

Thoughts on how effective or not it was? :flower:

My Fiance was on it - it only masked his issues and I don't think it helped at all. He's now no longer on it and has been referred to physiciatrist (sp!)

Good luck with it, though :flower:

Hey I am currently on citalopram and have been for a few months. it has helped loads, it is fantastic if you need it. Havent had any problems with it. they say not to stop taking it straight away tho as it can cause withdrawal symptoms. hope thats some help to you

:D :D

Hey I am currently on citalopram and have been for a few months. it has helped loads, it is fantastic if you need it. Havent had any problems with it. they say not to stop taking it straight away tho as it can cause withdrawal symptoms. hope thats some help to you

:D :D

Thanks.
Im only on day 4 so side affects still quite strong atm but actually think i feel better already. (I only have very slight anxiotys)

I see you are TTC, i take it Citalopram is safe to take while pregnant?

I'm currently on this after taking prozac and seeing no improvement. Ive went from 10mg to 20mg and now on 40mg not really noticing much differance but CPN, OH and gp see a differance so it must be doing something x

The Doctor has told me while it is no ideal to be on medication while pregnant that sometimes benefit outweighs risk. But if I get pregnant I would maybe try weaning myself off them, with help of the doctor. I am on them for anxiety as well and have found them very helpful.

I was on it for a year a while back and I didn't really find that it helped me very much. I felt really lethargic all the time and at the time, I put it down to the depression, but then when I came off it I had loads more energy. When I went to the dr a few months ago about PND, I told him that I hadn't really found it had helped and that I just felt lethargic all the time, and he said it's the kind of anti depressant that slows you down to help the anxiety and stress etc. He prescribed fluoxetine this time and I'm finding it much much better. xxx

I know it helps a lot of people but I hated it, got horrid side effects and no improvement so I came off it.

I know people who've been on it when pg, as pp said the benefits can outweight any risks if it's really helping u xx

I have been prescribed these about 3 times. They really did help. I was back to my usual self after about 3 weeks. You probably will feel better before 3 weeks but it took 3 weeks for me to feel back to my normal self x

I was, it helped but needed 60mg! My neighbour was the same.

It def helped me though my darkerest times, i then went slowly down and stopped when i was pregnant with my son back in early 2009, never needed it since.

Side effects, it kind of made me feel a bit out of things, in the sense that i didnt feel so depressed but i didnt feel mega happy either, i think it just brought me out of touch with how i was actually feeling and in that time i could figure out things were much better than i was imagining they were, if that makes sense.

Has anyone ever been prescribed this?

Thoughts on how effective or not it was? :flower:

Yes in fact citalopram was one of the many antidepressants prescribed to me during my late teens. Personally I did not find it helpful for GAD or Depression
But it has little to no withdrawal side effects.
My husband took it and had headaches on it and increased anxiety so it was not good for him but my best friend takes it and has been different person ever since and living overseas, engaged and generally loving life so without it she could not hold down a job.

Effectiveness over all from my experience 2/10
From friends and families experience 6/10

Have you been told about the newer version escitalopram? known as lexapro?
its meant to be more effective and safer to use
My husband did not respond to it and I needed a stronger medication that worked on more than just serotonin levels as citalopram is an SSRI
selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor

I take effexor which is an SNRI that works on serotonin and noradrenaline
Then there is always wellbutrin or bupropion as its known, that is a poten NDRI so its just noradrenaline based but very effective in treating major depression and anxiety and great for weight loss but not good for pregnant women but okay post pregnancy :)

hope that helps

I am basically a walking encyclopaedia of Psychiatric medicines so feel free to PM me anytime :thumbup:

i have just been prescribed this after being on fluoxetine, i have been getting worse and worse so hopefully these tablets will help me

i have just been prescribed this after being on fluoxetine, i have been getting worse and worse so hopefully these tablets will help me

Just wanted to send a big hug to you :flower:
I hope things start looking up for you. I'm on 30mg of citalopram, somedays are good somedays not, but I put that down to the depression not the tablets, at least my anxiety is less. I kept my depression a secret for a very long time. Only my OH and 1 friend knew I don't like to tell everyone I take these meds.Lol don't mind mentioning it on a anonymous forum.

I came off this a few weeks ago and it made me blooming mad. I went from no energy and sleeping all the tome t pacing round the garden at gone midnight cause i was restless and didn't no what to do with myself. I also started to imagine things quite disturbing whilst I was on it. Needless to say. I no longer take this medication... Different for everyone though i suppose :) x

I got prescribed it about 5 weeks ago. Started on 10mg and now on 20mg.
They are looking into it again next week as all it seems to make me do is feel extremely tired all the time! feel like i sleep my life away and i dont want that.... in myself i feel no different and no one else has noticed a difference either so personally dont think there working for me?
xx

I got prescribed it about 5 weeks ago. Started on 10mg and now on 20mg.
They are looking into it again next week as all it seems to make me do is feel extremely tired all the time! feel like i sleep my life away and i dont want that.... in myself i feel no different and no one else has noticed a difference either so personally dont think there working for me?
xx

they made me feel really tired too at the start. I was on 30mg but I'm considering going down to 20mg, I have for the last 3days been on only 20mg and so far I'm ok. My reason to switching to 20mg is that I'm TTC and if I do get a BFP, I would want to be on 10mg only. good luck!!

I've been on it for about 2-3 months (on my 3rd month of prescription) and it's made the world of difference. I am on 20mg a day (I think it's mg, might be mcg lol) and on my questionnaire I scored 13, which is mild depression. I didn't think I was depressed but looking back I was just like a zombie, and constantly tired and withdrawn. Now I feel like I'm my normal self again, and when I went back I scored 1! Even the Dr said he would score higher than that! :haha:

For me, I just needed something to reset my system after a very stressful time knocked me for six both physically and mentally (I also have an underactive thyroid, and am waiting to have a severe case of glue ear treated following a series of colds and infections over last winter - we moved twice in 6 months and were doing 14 hour days for 3 months in order to get moved - a total nightmare and I completely burned out). The tablets have been wonderful, and the Dr thinks I'll come off them around christmas so we'll have to see. I am TTC but from what I have been told, they are not detrimental in early pregnancy, so it should be ok.

Good luck and I hope they work for you. :thumbup:

Celexa? My son's been taking that since he was about 3 years old for severe anxiety. He used to literally curl up in a ball and cry at a passing butterfly, he was so terrified of all animals. Now, he's a perfectly happy healthy 13 year old with no anxiety issues to speak of.

Every time we've tried him not on the celexa, he reverts back to a horribly anxious child. To us, it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->