Citilopram

xxsteffyxx

Single Momma
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can still fall pregnant whilst being on this. It is an anti-depresent. Does it pose as a massive risk to baby?

I found this on a website.... it may be useful to you.

There is only a limited knowledge or research about the possible effects of taking medicine during pregnancy. So usually doctors would recommend not to take any psychoactive drugs like anti depressants. However, you have to consider the possible negative effects on mood (or anxiety symptoms) if you stop taking the medicine. Many doctors are very much concerned about the possible risk of postpartum depression (depression after childbirth). This risk may be much higher for you and the child than any negative effects of the antidepressant medication.

it is a matter or weighing up the pros and cons with your GP. And don't stop suddenly as you can run into major problems with withdrawal syndrome

hth
xxx

I am on bupropion (Wellbutrin) for my bipolar, we are NTNP. My OB/GYN and psychiatrist think it is the safest antidepressant to be on during pregnancy. It might be something for you to ask about.

I recently came off citalopram as we are ttc and have not coped well so went back to see my doctor and they said that although they don't recommend any medication if it is the beth interest of the womans mental health then its ok. So I'm back on it at 20mg. x

Yeah it's all about working with your Dr. to work out what's best for you and baby. I mean obviously it'd be perfect if we could all cope fine without meds, but that's not the case :hugs: IMO it'd be better for both mother and baby for the mum's well being to be good. What I mean is that some folks have major difficulties coming off antidepressants and the bad effects coming off it may outweigh the benefits. (I never had any problems coming off it when I stopped, I found the side effects of being on it worse, just saying, you might be totally ok coming off it that's what working with your GP is all about :flower:)

I have a good friend who got pregnant whilst on quitre a high dose of citalopram, she saw her GP throughout and gradually lowered the dose whilst she was pregnant, think she's gone back up again since her boy was born.

But yeah everyone responds differently. Best advice I can give is to follow what your Dr. says and not feel bad about any of it because you'll be doing the best you can in any case.

xx

I was on citalopram (Celexa) for 3 years and I fell pregnant with no problem.

I stopped (gradually) because of potential risks to the baby when I found out I was pregnant, and recently doc. put me on buproprion (Wellbutrin). It only treats my depression (and my anxiety is still pretty bad) but they were reconsidering putting me on sertraline (Zoloft), which one of my psychiatrists said is safe during pregnancy, but another said was not.

Advice:

1. Ask questions about how the medicine will work for you, and how it will affect the baby both in utero and after birth.

2. Don't take one doctor's word for it. Speak to a few different doctors, with different specialties and different interests.

3. Remember that although you want to choose the medicine that has the least chance of adversely affecting your baby, you have to also remember that if the medicine will not help you, your continued mental health issues could be a bigger risk to your baby than some side effects of medicine.

Good luck! :) Let me know what you and your doctor decide.

I was dianosed with a medical condition called 'Conversion Disorder' whilst again as you all said I would much rather I didn't have the condition whilst TTC but I would love a family and my doctor is now refering me to a speacilist to get help on how to control the condition.

This is more information;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_disorder

Sounds scary, but I am learning to control it slightly and I have a wonderful partner who takes care of me.

That sounds very scary hun :hugs: Hope your doctor helps you get things sorted and that you can ttc and get through pregnancy happy and healthy

Hi,

I am on 40mg daily of citalopram for severe anxiety, I suffered a breakdown after 4 recurrent miscarriages, I tried to cope without medication but I was just unable to and finally I went on the medication in December and got pregnant first attempt at trying with this pregnancy in February. I have had 2 scans so far and baby is growing perfectly.

I have discussed this in great depth with my Gp and she feels that the benefits to me far outweigh the risk to the baby and although no medication is ideal in pregnancy, it has to be on an individual assessment. I am hoping to reduce to 20mg in the second trimester when i hope my anxiety will lessen (due to me progressing well with this baby) and then come off or go to minimal for 3rd tri, this is when the drug can be passed to baby and that can have a withdrawal on the baby after they are born. I obviously want to avoid this at every cost.

I wish you every success with ttc and if you have any other questions please either send me a private message or ask me here.
x

Well my doctor at the moment has advised me against trying for a baby whilst the Conversion Disorder is still being tested. I have been upped to 40mg a day and next week he it putting me up to 60mg a day, plus another type of anti-axiety drug and blood pressure pill... so, it's not just the risk of the citilopram anymore.

I'm taking the docs advice and coming off TTC for a while untill October 2011 when we are hoping to start again. Loosing weight, saving some money and trying to control this condition. I'm currently on a weekly checkup with him.

Fingers crossed for October 2011 TTC :)

I was on citilopram during my pregnancy and during breastfeeding. My doctor thought being on them outweighed the risks of not

Good luck for October :) I'm trying in November so should be good yaay!
I'm on citalopram, not sure about coming off it either, when I think about how bad things were before I was on so its difficult to decide for sure.
Good luck with the other meds too, I hope things get easier so you can TTC :)
xx

Hello
I agree with people's posts. Depression kills pregnant women, so if medication is needed its best to take it weighing up pros and cons. Fluoxetine probably has the best evidence for safety profile in pregnancy and easier to withdraw I think (might just be where the research is), but citalopram is relatively safe.

https://lmtf.lilypie.com/PfARp1.png
https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttad007.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"