CLD/BPD baby on oxygen and a crowd - what would you do?

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
I'm after a little advice.

Background: My former 28 weeker (now term + 6 weeks) has chronic lung disease, and is on oxygen. In addition she had some structural damage to her left lung so half of it was removed at 36 weeks gestation/8 weeks old. She came home at 42 weeks, was home a fortnight then readmitted with respiratory failure, after 10 days she was in a better state than when they sent her home the first time, so she's been back with us for 2 days now.

The problem: My granddad, who I was very close to, died last week. It is his funeral on Thursday. He was an extremely likeable and popular man, and we're expecting around 100-200 friends and family to be there. I'm really uncomfortable about having my LO exposed to that many people with all their lovely germs and viruses this close to when she went into respiratory failure, I just don't feel like she's strong enough to fight off a serious infection or virus. We are taking her on lots of walks, and meeting friends and family at home or the park in order to build her immune system up gradually, but this seems like a baptism by fire. But I can't see any way around taking her? My husband is doing a reading so has to go, and obviously I can't ask my parents. I asked one of her godmothers as she's a teacher and runs a youth group at church, but fair enough she's not comfortable with her being on oxygen. I don't know anyone else to ask really, my mums friends who would be competent and confidant will be at the service, and mine haven't started having babies yet so are scared of them, let alone an oxygen dependant one. I'm in England if that makes any difference.

What would you do?

If there is no one to look after her, i would probably take her but ask that no one touches her and any one who is obviously ill to stay well away.

Edited because im a tit and thought there really was a fire :rofl:

I'd take her. When Alex was little and on oxygen I was afraid to take him near anyone but I realised that he will get germs whether it's one person or 50. Hope all goes well and sorry to hear about your grandad x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->