Cleaning a pump

jenny82

Reaction score
I started using the pump the MW gave me this morning. I cleaned it afterwards but on the sheet i had, it just talked about cleaning the pump/adaptors etc in warm, soapy water, which I did. It didn't mention the tube at all though - so I just sort of rinsed it in warm water.

I've just looked online and apparently there is some anti-bacterial lock on the tube, so you don't need to wash it or rinse it. If water gets it, it can cause bacteria/mould. Have I fecked the pump up?

Its on loan from the MW and is an Ameda one. :wacko:

I have the Ameda Lacteline on loan from my mw. I don't wash the tube. All the tub does is proide the air to make it pump. The milk doesn't go in the tube or anything so it doesn't need cleaned - is this the same as yours?

It will probably be fine, it should just dry out I would think?

It just isn't necessary to wash the tubing and steam/micro sterilising can warp it; but washing it once is unlikely to damage it so don't worry xx

I have a medela and sometimes milk or a few drops of water gets sucked up into the tubing and stays there, so I unplug it all and blow through it like a straw and it dries it out. You could try this if your is the same way?

Ameda pumps are closed system so its almost impossible for milk to get in the tubing-unless a generic pumping kit is used which sometimes does happen with pumps that are lent/rented out-the thing that stops milk going in the tubing with ameda pumps is simply this little 'top hat' shaped diapraghm in the official collection kit the generic kits do not have this and so the pump is no longer totally closed system xx

I sterilize mine with a medela stream bag then I hang then off something for the night so there's no moisture in them works like a charm!

Cheers! It does look a bit moist at the min but I've left it hanging out to dry. They gave me 2 tubes anyway so Im just using the other one. Am such a doofus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->